Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

n00b buying an acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Saveliy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Saveliy

Saveliy

Aug 10, 2005
    Umm, I'm not sure weather this site is the right place to ask, but I was having trouble finding a site that uses any time of forum software that is comprehendable to me (let alone VB). :eyebrow:

So I was wondering, what's a good acoustic guitar model. I'm a beginner, I've been parcticing in camp with my friend's guitar for a moth. Now I need an acoustic guitar, because I signed up for guitar courses in highschool :hyper: . I'm willing to pay any price under $400 as long is it's the best guitar I can find, because I catch on really quickly (I play the piano for 6 years now). IT would be great if the guitar sounded good when playing not only "high-school" songs, but also good, rock songs (breaking benjamin's acoustic version of "Home" didn't sound half bad :) ) Any suggestions? :confused:

2. Saveliy

Saveliy

Aug 10, 2005
    *Sorry, double post*

Anybody??? I heard those Seagul S6's were good. Is there anything better ?

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Try again in the misc forum, this section of TB is an instruction area, and is not so often visited as the misc part.

Good luck.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Moved to Misc.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Hi, Saveliy.
    If you are looking for an acoustic that you can use for a long time, look for a used one for your price range. If you can find a used Epiphone or Martin, you'd be doing great. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to answer your question because there are so many guitars to choose from. What matters are the feel and the sound. If you have a music shop nearby, spend time playing as many as you can. Pay attention to the size and shape of the neck and the sound of the guitar. Some brands you might not know as well are Washburn and Dean. They both make instruments in your price range that are good. Fenders acoustics don't seem to be very well made. I've played some Ibanez acoustics in your range that have a lovely tone. The Seaguls are great but tend to be a little more.
    Good luck!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Steel string or classical?

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Check out reviews for either Seagull or Simon & Patrick (basically same guitar). Best bang for the buck.