N00b looking for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by quatre03, Feb 15, 2005.

1. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    Alright so i've decided i'm gonna start upright, I wanna take some lessons from Brb Magnuson, and i'm going to berklee for electric bass, but id really like to play both so that afterwords julliard is an option. So i've done some looking and i've found like 4 basses, and other suggestions would be appreciated, 2000 is my limit.

http://www.stringbassshop.com/nbpage/MP_New_Basses.html The first one
    http://www.lemur-music.com/aspbass/...de=swing&instName=Swingmaster Deluxe 3/4 Bass

I play jazz, and classical.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have read very good things here about the Upton basses. I know that Mr. Upton will see that it is in sound order before it ever makes it to you.

I have played a couple of Christophers, and each was a nice bass for what it was. Although, I would take my Shen any day and twice on Sunday over either.

While there are applications where they are an excellent choice, if in your position, I would probably stray away from an Engelhardt. I owned one myself and they are fine, but the feel is so much different than any other bass on the planet. If you want to move on to something else more refined, it's almost as if you have to start over. Plus, the bowed tone of an Engelhardt is a little less complex than you might like.

Also, it would seem in a place as well populated as Southern CA, you could fine a local luthier/retailer that could set you up with something. Utimately, you will end up better off. Luthiers tend to take care of folks who take care of them.

Plus, going local should give you the option of renting for a while until you work enough with your teacher to know what you want. Many places will allow you to count all or part of your rent as a down payment on the bass you are renting or even something else.
  3. If you're gonna get hold of Bob Mag, ask him for some leads. There's a guy named Tom Mylett out there....858-272-6323. He'll either have some basses or can help. A good bass luthier...Dave Mallard...619-523-1271.
    Call Bert Turetzky...just retired from his College gig. Check the Musicians Association for his #.
    If these guys can't help, you're un-helpable!