N00b needs advice on rig options...

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by mgcasella, Jun 1, 2012.

1. This is my first post (although I've been lurking for a while) and I just started upright bass lessons about two weeks ago. I have a German-made Stradivarius copy, which my teacher approves of, and it's set up for slap.

My goal is to start a psychobilly group, reminiscent of early Nekromantix (think Curse of The Coffin) but I'd also love some Guana Batz and Stray Cats stuff in there, as well.

I've been playing guitar for a while but know practically nothing about upright bass so I need help on selecting equipment that would suit my needs. After some research, here's what I've come up with:

Pickups: TM "Billy Special"
    Preamp: DTAR Solstice
    Head: Unsure
    Cab: I initially thought the Avatar TB153 (not sure what speakers) would be best but Dave told me you guys prefer the B410 with the NEO Celestions.

What do you all think? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    -Matt

2. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    Check rockabillybass.com man, way more info and it has been covered tons of times. Personally I love the underwood pickup, I havent tried the realist but I hear that is really good as well but I get next to no feedback with the underwood and great tone so no reason for me to switch.

I would take it to a music shop that will let you try it out through various heads/preamps/cabs and find something you personally like.

Thats what I did and ended up going with one of the traynor dynabass heads with an ART pro mpa II pre amp (I mainly got this for recording vocals but works great as a bass preamp too) and threw it in my rack.

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    The TM pickup should be great, and the DTAR is one of the very best pres out there...if we didn't make our own, that's what I'd still be using.

That Avatar is better than most 410's for sure, but it's basically a bad rip off of fEARfuls. What were you thinking about as far as amps go?

4. Hey I just checked out those fEARful bass cabs and they look AWESOME :hyper:

I'm very interested in them but I'm confused as to which model I would want/need plus they are very expensive. What cab do you think would be best for Psychobilly, how much would it cost (including shipping), and how much would it weigh?

As far as heads go, I'm not sure. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, you said you guys build your own preamps - how do they compare to the DTAR? I tried finding your website but only got a Facebook page and the preamps weren't on it - do you have an actual website I could look at?

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    The website is nearly finished and ready...gonna be a few days.

As for the pres...they aren't available yet...still messing with prototypes until we can get the circuit boards printed, etc. I prefer them a bit over the DTAR, bay again, the DTAR is very nice for sure...I'd highly recommend them.

As for the cabs...PM me and we can chat about it :)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021