Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

n00b question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_rock211, Apr 30, 2002.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I am looking to get a bass. First timer. I have played a couple of basses and heard many more. I have a friend that is recommending Ibanez like he works for them, but I see a lot of people here plugging the MIM Fenders. I am wondering if anyone could give me a breakdown on the lower-end stuff from Ibanez and Fender. (I am working with about $400-$500...and I have seen many on ebay for cheaper)
    Thanks

2. Welcome to Talkbass!

Is that $400-$500 goning to have to cover your amp too?

I personally don't like Ibanez, but your milage may vary. For the money you're looking at spending, I'd say go for a Fender, Squier (just as good as Fenders at half the price, IMO), or Yamaha. If you're dropping that $500 on just the bass, you could get a used G&L [​IMG] if you're lucky. There are a whole bunch of basses you could find, both new and used in your range. The OLP Stingrays are also well within your range. What kind of tone are you looking for, and what kind of music do you want to play?
    Check out all you can get your hands on. Shop around and don't buy on impulse. TalkBass is a wonderful place to come for info. Use the search and you'll find hundreds of threads that will be able to help you.

3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the info. I would mainly be playing in my buddy's (hard to describe this music) pop-punk-rock band for fun. I want to work on jazz a little on the side: I played jazz trumpet for a long time and would like a different approach to the style.

I am hearing a lot of good things about MTD Kingstons. The Stingrays also seem to be popular. I will be going to play a few on Thursday...mostly Fenders, 1 used Kingston 5, and a couple Ibanez. Are there places online that I could look for better prices?

edit:that $ is not covering the amp

4. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Also, forgive my newness to this, but what does "OLP" stand for?

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Not sure what OLP stands for.. but I really like their 4 strings.. Don't really look in to their 5 strings.

I played some Ibanez, which are nice.. you can always look for a used BTB somewhere

For 400-500.. I'd say.. go for a Yamaha RBX760. Those are EXCELLENT basses with active pickups. They are usually around $450 brand new. Excellent basses for a great buy. Try one out if you have a chance!

You can always go for the nice old Fender MIM Basses. But remember, if you one want one of those, make sure to TRY them out! From what I hear, some MIM basses are better than MIA! (Made in America)..

Good luck! If you have any questions.. post away

DM:D

6. MIM Fender Jazz

Very versitile instrument (will sound great for your po/punk band and for jazz) and since its a fender, EVERY company makes replacement parts so instead of buying a new bass down the line you can just keep upgrading this one.

But much like a few others mentioned you really should try several different ones since some are really good and some are just horrible.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would play as many basses as you can and make your own choice.

The only real advice I can offer is that you very seriously consider a used bass. You'll get much more for your money. In six months, it will look exactly the same whether you bought it used or new.

Chas

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, for about 450ish (less, actually) you can get ahold of an MTD Kingston 5 (or 4, if you feel that way). Some of the best production basses, IMHO.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I believe it means 'officially licensed product'.

I'll cast a vote for the MTD Kingston. It's one of the best values in basses, especially the 5 string.

I've never tried the Yamahas in that price range, but I've read good things.

10. As stated above it stands for Officially Licensed Product. They make a great copy of Stingrays and Sterlings for really cheap.

11. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Now an easier question (if you live in the area):

I am going to Journey Around Music, Guitar Works, and Westgate Music Center to try some different things. I am at school in Oberlin, Ohio (20 min SW of Cleveland). Just wanted to know if anybody here could point me in the direction of a few other places in the Lorain/Elyria/Cleveland area?

12. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Does anybody have any experince with Aria? There are loads of cheap Arias to be had, and I was wondering if I should spend some time looking at them.