Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

n00bie NEEDS HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TooT_YouR_FluTe, Aug 4, 2003.

1. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    Hey im new here.:) I want to start bass. So im a little bit clueless.:confused: I was thinking of getting a yamaha rbx170 from "music123.com".
    http://www.music123.com/item/?itemno=33964&match=1

But i was wondering, if anybody actually had played it before and if it was good or not. My price range is 150 to 180. And the direction of music i want to play is punk/alternative/metal. Does anybody have any suggestions? Or opinion on the rbx170?

......Also my second choice was a ibanez GSR100.

Sorry for the long post, but thanx.:D

2. That is very similar to my friend's Yamaha. Basically a great starter bass. It's more than capable of handling playing at home and shouldn't break down on you or anything. My friend has had his for 3 years and it's still good as new.

3. Squier, best starting bass money can buy.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ???! SX MAN SX! I got one, and i love it. i've been playing for 5 years...

www.rondomusic.com

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No way!

ESSEX! Romeoarmada is dead on! Go with Essex!

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh yeah, the Yamaha will be good as well. I've never played that model, but they have very good quality, low price, well made stuff. Very relible.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say the essex jazz basses that i've seen are probably the best starter basses that i've ever seen.

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Go with the Essex. :bassist:

9. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    I'm not sure about squier. I heard that their lower line starter bass are supposed to be crappy......

But I hear about Essex a lot on this board.....but never round my town....prolly cuz they're hard to find in Omaha. So it's a toss up between the rbx170 and essex. HMMmmmm......:meh:

10. Ducksual

Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    UK
    I have an RBX 170 and I've never had any major problems with it, i get a good tapping and a reasonable slapping sound from it.

My only problem at the moment is that i lowered the pickups as the strings were almost touching them and now I don't think I'm getting as much of the higher strings as I used to :/.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Definately the SX. i just got mine today and all i can say is wow. how the hell is this only 143 dollars??! this hands down beats any MIM i've ever played, and it beats my friends California P/J. i have yet to take it on against an MIA jazz, i'll tell you guys how that works out. now some eye candy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    1 more for attachments sake...

13. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Sorry all of you Essx lovers... But I say a GSR 200 (For $200 on Musiciansfriend.com with a gig bag...). This thing lasted me about 2 good years, and man, it's a freaking machine.
    That bass is made to last. Nothing fell off, well I accidentally ripped 2/3 knobs off (2 tone), but I was pulling hard as I could because I WAS going to replace them.
    Anyway, it is a machine. I've heard things about the Essx's about very bad things (just a few postst) happening, and just some small stuff like the input jack falling in. But I don't really think someone starting out would want to deal with any of that kind of stuff IF, and IF, it ever happende. The Essx's are just mostly the pickups anyway. Amazing sound for the price. But like I said, the GSR200 is a machine...
    It's a toss up... GSR :):), lol...

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well i have a GSR 200 and a SX now. the GSR is lighter, and has an unfinished slightly thinner neck. its sound is no where near the balls of the SX. its very sturdy (the sx) if i dropped the GSR, i'm sure something crucial would break. if i dropped the SX, nothing would happen. i like the SX alot more. and its cheaper, and kurt at rondo rocks.

15. I have a Yamaha, brilliant basses for the money. SX are supposed to be good, and I wouldn't touch low end Ibanez stuff with a barge pole. I had a GSR 200 and it sucked majorly, horrible neck and just sounded awful.

16. I too love my SX over my GSR200 now, BUT, my GSR has been dropped a few times and it still plays like nothing happened! And also, thanks to Obsolex, it has 2/3 of the knobs :D! But I like am SOOOOOOO careful with my SX its not even funny! Just from posts like Obsolex said of people having problems with their SX basses, I'd go with the GSR200 and THEN switch to an SX just incase something happens to it your more knowledgable (sp??) of basses so you can fix it. I know Obsolex loves my SX, but is aware that they can have problems (pretty much like any bass). So to summarize this all up...Get the Ibanez GSR200 and then move onto an SX (if you so desire). The SX basses can be purchased online at www.rondomusic.com just to let you know. ~ Tyler

P.S. The GSR200 was my first bass (WAS Obsolex's bass, I got it from him used) and it has been used and abused (playing wise...cept for those few drops :meh: ) and it still plays just as good, even since I defretted it and am now currently playing it, yes it rules :D Also, romeoarmada copied me...ugh...had the GSR200 and got an SX...

www.gamingshack.net/ua/basspics/ <--pics of my essex (and the gsr200, the red one, next to it)

17. How I'd love to put that in my sig! But I don't wear a fireproof suit. :ninja:

18. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    LOL ombudsman :hyper:

19. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    The GSR200 is like 200 hundred dollars, man. That's a little outta of my price range. I'm still kinda trying to scrap up some money. I'm trying not to go overboard. So my limit is 170, dude.:meh:

20. I'd go for the SX basses then...here are a few 4 strings for a good price:

SPB-62

SJB-62 MG

SPJ-62

There ya go ~ Tyler