n00bie NEEDS HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TooT_YouR_FluTe, Aug 4, 2003.

1. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    Essex.............but is it really versatile? Cuz the direction of music im lookin for is some where between The Transplants and SOAD.

Oh Yeah......U guyz have been a lot of help so far....Thanx, man.:D

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Just don't get anything made of LUTHITE!

3. If your going to do that kind of music, get the SPJ-62 so you can get that growl that SOAD has, yet get the punch that The Transplants have. Thats my opinion atleast.

4. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003

Hey romeoarmada, what kind of essex did ya get?
    I'm curious.

5. I thought the same damn thing when I first played my SX BG205! What the hell is going on here?!?!

6. Im thinkin he got the SJB-62 (this is a guess, dont remember)

7. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    Okay......I was thinkin of a spj-62 but only problem is that the thing looks like a country western guitar.....I mean don't get me wrong. I know that it still could have a great sound. but im lookin for sumthing with sound and a somewhat decent look to it. But you've been A LOT of help NewBassPlayer66 ..and thanx, i appreciate it man.

Do you guyz know if their is any other essex have the versatility to play the sounds of the Transplants and SOAD?

8. haha, I can kinda see what you mean man :D Its all good though. Just a suggestion for it. I'm not sure if you can get one w/ the versatility cept that spj-62, but it doesnt hurt for others to tell ya what they think :D Also, your welcome for the help...I'm trying to be of some use here on TB now...spent too much time being a waste of time :D Good luck on the search man ~ Tyler Also, use Stainless Steel strings on whichever one you get!

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, I got an Essex fretless Jazz. Honestly, it is just as high quality as each MIM Fender jazz I've played. Go with one of the Essex Jazz basses. They have the versitility you will be looking for. You can get a really big fat sound from the neck p-up, with punch and snap from the bridge p-up. Go with the Essex Jazz, it'll rock your socks off :bassist:

10. See, I knew there had to be another SX with the versatility :D You got any sound clips Nick?

11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, just my advice, but don't go for an Essex with P/J pickups. I have heard bad things about low cost basses with P/J pickups. I personally wouldn't go with that combo. Jazz basses have a very versitile pickup combination. There are tons of sounds available with different amounts of the two pickup signals. Like I said, it's your choice, but I would go with the Jazz, not the P/J.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Not on my computer now. I can make some later tonight I guess.

13. You have heard those things, but these SX basses are freakin machines man, they surprise all! But yeah, that Jazz one will give you the growl of SOAD and maybe with a little EQing and stuff you should get that Transplants sound. I was thinking that before I posted about the P/J one, but thought I might get that idea out there first.

14. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003

What model are you talkin bout nick? cuz im tryin to look for one on rondomusic.com

15. If it was an SX Jazz, I'd get the SJB-62 MG (my opinion of course).

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have the Essex SJB-62 QMD Fretless.

[​IMG]

17. TooT_YouR_FluTe

TooT_YouR_FluTe

Aug 4, 2003
    Okay I think I've made my choice.......a SX SJB-62 MG. Hopefully It has the sound and versatility you guyz say it has and it already has the decent look i wanted.......so it's settled.

WOW....that's weird..I came out with my heart set on a yamaha rbx170 for 170 dollars and now im gettin an essex, which i never heard of till till a couple of days ago when i joined this board.

18. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Good choice! You won't be dissapointed! :cool:

19. TB is a powerful place :D It happens to all of us. The Essex basses are like a godsend...LoL. No one can get over how great they are for the price. I hope you are happy with it :D Post a review after you've tried it out. ~ Tyler