1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

n00btastic question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obese Chess, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Long story short, if my amp only has 2 speaker outs, is there a way I can wire it to more than 2 cabinets?

Also, since my current cabinet has 2 speaker ins, if I plug my amp into the cab with 2 cables instead of one, will that do anything?

Thanks!

2. brianbj46

brianbj46

Aug 11, 2006
    madison, wi
    omg, do NOT plug both speaker outs from your amp head into the same cab!!!!! That will blow up your amp. The two speaker ins on your cab are probably parallel inputs. Before you try to wire up numerous cabinets, you have to check what the minimum impedance on your amplifier head is. Most amps have a minimum impedence of 4 ohms, some are 2 ohms. Then you have to check the impedence on your cabinets. then you search this site for impedence matching, etc....

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Whooo-weee! Thanks!

So no matter what the impedance is, don't plug both into the same cab?
    Thanks!

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Connecting two parallel outputs on your head to two parallel inputs on your cab won't hurt anything - it's just a redundant connection.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What Hartke amp do you have? If it's a HA5000 or HA7000, that amp has two power amps and plugging both into one (mono) cabinet is indeed a bad thing.

So, to help us help you, please tell us exactly what amp and cabinet you have at this point in time.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    The 5000/7000 has two outputs for each amplifier, or a total of four. Based on his description, it's a different (mono) model and just a parallel connection. Still, probably better to give us all the information you have in the future. :)

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Long story short, you need at least two cabs with two connectors. So if you have four cabs your can either daisy chain (amp -> cab1 cab1 ->cab2 cab2 ->cab3 cab3 -> cab4) or run them in pairs (amp ->cab1 cab1 -> cab2 amp -> cab3 cab3 ->cab4).

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Or he could build two parallel Y cables.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yup, but we know at least one of the cabs has two connectors so I am guessing one of the other ones will too.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    We really still need to know what (from the OP's profile) "Hartke amps" we're talking about.

I believe that a Hartke 410 of one kind or another is involved (read in another thread)...