1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

N2xAD - Tube content, not for the faint of heart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beano_z, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Just posted this in the Tracel Elliot club, but I realized I could finally post an "NAD" thread :hyper:

Anyway, here's the latest addition to my "serious" rig (previously Markbass SD1200 + 2 x 104HF).

I happen to run into these pair in a two month window since August this year. It took quite long to get them to me, but finally they arrived last Friday and I'm stoked.

Been laying guitar for years through all tube amps, but never for bass and never realized that tube could make such a difference for bass because I always thought hi-fi was better for bass (in most practical cases I still think it is).

But man, was I blown away when I plugged these in. Of all things to hit me, the smoothness really caught me off guard. And that's not even talking about the warmth and punch these things are capable of. Finally, I was completely blow away when I started playing with the gain controls. Never was a big fan of overdriven bass tone, but I guess that was entirely my problem...

I'll be in phase where I learn about these amps now, it'll take me a while to get to know them and like them, but it looks like we're on the right track!

So here you have it, I guess my new found tube addiction has been satisfied, at least for now :help:

attachment.

attachment.

PS.: The resemblance to Mr. Bowlus' rigs are not entirely coincidental, just in case you're wondering...:bag:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    NOYCE! I bet they both sound amazing. Enjoy! Come back with full reviews if you get a chance.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very nice!

4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That is awesome!

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Now that's something to look at!!

6. Thanks I definitely will!

Thanks guys...now I'm seriously wondering how they will sound with an 8x10 (or two). So far I've never liked 8x10's but I guess, from what I read here, it's because I've never played an all tube amp through an 8x10 before.

Could the front ported cabs given me problems in real time situation? Too much / uncontrollable bass frequencies?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nah, port location is immaterial to the sound of the cab since those lows are omnidirectional.

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Ported cabs can potentially have some disagreement with valve amps as their impedance spikes aorund the port tuning as the driver gets loaded, and high impedance disagrees with valves/transformers. Isn't a big issue unless you are cranking the camp hard, and awith 400w and two fair sized cabs, that is unlikely. Sealed cabs have a smoother impedance, but less sensitivity, so means pushing the amp harder, into a load it agrees with better pushed hard. Guess kind of depends on how much bottom and if you want that pushed power section thing (I assume you don't because massive power).

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah, if you get a chance, try them with an 8X10. You may fall in love with it.

But there's no law against preferring the tone through those ported boxes you already have. They may kill with those heads. And if they do, just rock what you got!

10. Sorry, I didn't express myself well (mee Ingles welly bad)...

I actually mean, my ported cabs, how will they compare to sealed cabs, such as an Ampeg SVT-810E or 810AV?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Obviously the sound won't be identical ;) but low-tuning-wise I'd say the Markbass cabs are in a similar ballpark.

12. Thanks you two, that's what I wanted to know. By the time I posted by reply, you guys have already posted...so fast:hyper:

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Looks awesome.

14. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Who says tubes can't be hifi? :p

Seriously, though, since I moved to playing through blackface Showmen, it feels like my tone is more present and hifi in ways it never was before. I'm sure it's all illusion, but I'll take it.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Killer pair of tube amps, OP - I'd be proud to rock either one of them!!!

- georgestrings

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    :D

Those are some amazing amps! Enjoy! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

17. Thanks guys...finally weekend again so I can make some noise...