1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NA(s)D! Mesa, GK content!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moon-bass, Aug 26, 2019.

1. moon-bass

moon-bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    So ... I had some stuff stolen from me recently and had to replace, among other things, an amp head. Decided that the best course of action is to try a few and see what I liked and then get rid of what I didn't (also doing this with preamp pedals).

I ended up with a GK MB200, a GK Fusion 800, a Mesa D800 and a D800+.

I am looking for a combination of great tone and portability and these all fit the bill. I also have an Acoustic Image combo on the way, as well as a few mini speakers. I'll post the results of the shootout once I make my decisions on what to keep.

So far I have just tried the D800+ and it. Is. Killer. Really makes me miss my 400+

Attached Files:

petch and mexicant like this.
  2. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Sorry to hear about the theft, bummer. Since this is TB, let me be the first to suggest that you just keep all four of the new amps -- those are all killer!

3. I own the mesa d800 and the gk mb200 is my backup head, both gk and mesa make great bass gear!

4. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Ha. I just might. I also have the Eden WT800 you see in the pic, plus a Markbass LM800 and an Eden VT300 ... Oh and I mentioned lusting after a Mesa 400+ ...

Attached Files:

5. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Update

So I also picked up an Acoustic Image Contra combo (newest version) and a Trace Elf 1*10. I've put them all to the test and here are the results so far:

I intended the GK MB200 (paired with the eElf) and the AI to go head to head for small gigs. The AI sounded flatter, more natural, clean and crisp, and paired great with preamp pedals. The GK sounded almost as good, but needed an external HPF. The GK had the edge on loudness, the AI is simpler. In the end I am keeping the GK/Elf combo and selling the AI. The GK had the sound I wanted - with GK color. The AI was pure and clear, but I had to use a preamp to get the grindy tone I wanted.

For the big amps:. So far I have decided to sell the GK. It sounds great, it's portable, but to me the Mesa just has *it* for lack of a better tone (keep in mind my ideal amps are Eden's and Mesas...). The GK sounds really, really good, but I prefer the Mesa, and plus the Mesa will do 2 ohms.

Now my issue is deciding to keep either the D800 or the D800+. The + is the better amp to be sure, but I need to consider portability ....

agedhorse likes this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Funny I’m doing sorta similar. No theft in my case... just added a D-800 to my existing Mb-Fusion and MB-200.

The MB-200 is a total sleeper. I have many gigs on it. It is louder than it should be and has Gk baked in. Love it.

The MB-Fusion is IMO the best Gk yet. The front end is just a little softer in the high mids and treble and it still retains the GK fast, tight low end. Mine is about to be dedicated to backline in my sound co.

The D-800 is awfully sweet. I played with the Subway DI a long time and that is what pushed me in. It is really a very, very nice amp.

moon-bass likes this.
  7. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    How is that zomfg Eden VT?