1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nacho cheese on the fingerboard...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My girlfriend was eating tortilla chips and nacho cheese last night... This morning I woke up to play my Cirrus 6 Bubinga with a rosewood fingerboard to find a disgusting dark yellow gloop on it.

My bass was sitting BEHIND her, and somehow she got about a 1 cm x 1 cm glob on the fingerboard. Couldn't tell if it was rat poop, chocolate, or what, till I smelled it up close. I cleaned most of it with a papertowel and water, but there's still a small smudge on it.

What should I use to get it out? Alchohol? It rather smells bad too.

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Try using a furniture polish then treating the entire fingerboard with boiled linseed oil, tung oil or teak oil.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Her Blood. :ninja:

4. Try rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. Its a pretty good solvent and won't harm anything. I use it on all my basses. I would suggest not coating the stain with anything since that may just seal the stain into the wood.

5. +1:bag:
    I know it's an old thread but I was looking for some Cirrus info and couldn't resist

Fletch

6. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    I wonder if a luthier could offer "Human Blood-stain" as a finish. It'd be a hit among the metal/goth/people-with-black-cargo-pants crowd.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So, did the cheese come off?

8. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    All hail the rise of the living thread...it once was dead but now walks about the other threads, decay hanging from its slack hollow-cheeked jaw. All hail the necroposter!!

9. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Get some 0000 steel wool and naphta. Scrub carefully the area until complete removal of the stain. You can also use rubbing alcohol. After that, and if the FB wood shows itself dry, apply a teeny tiny drop of boiled lineseed oil in a clean cloth and rub the oil into the FB.

10. The world may never know.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What is Cheezewiz doing on your bass..?

Pat, you've got some explaining to do.

12. Come again?... :D

13. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    LOL

Sign me up!!!

14. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    I'll do it for free. Just send me your bass and a suitable telemarketer salesman via UPS. Insure the bass.

-Stephen

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    boo! hiss!