1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD - 1969 Traynor YVM-1 Voice Master

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Stumbled upon this Traynor tube head at a guitar show Saturday in Fletcher , NC. It was a bit obscured in placement in the dealer's space, but it jumped out at me pretty quickly. Dealer had a 2x15 Bassman cab that I was able to test it through and it performed nicely. I told the seller I'd think about it and get back to him. So a couple of hours later, I went back by his booth and made an offer that was accepted.

Turns out to be a very early '69 with pots dated February 1969 and serial #V-2588. Of course, it's a PA head, but I've heard for years about how good these could be for guitar and bass with lots of room for mods in whatever direction you want to go. As you'll see in the pics, it's in near perfect condition and already had the convert to 3 prong power cord. Other than the chicken knobs, pretty much original. 50 watts RMS with ohm switching of 4, 8 and 16 with two EL34M Groove tubes and four AX7 Fender labeled Grove tubes that all light up strong. I've had just a brief time to juke around with it, but it's doing well so far. Here you go.

IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1353.JPG

2. Cool! I played through one of these through an obnoxiously large 8x10 vintage Traynor cab at an outdoor gig this summer. Old school heaven.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  3. Go to the amp guts thread and post those first two pictures there for posterity. :)

Aren’t those Hammond transformers and choke just loverly? :)

Oren Hudson likes this.
  4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Nice

Oren Hudson likes this.
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Nice find. I had one a while back, ended up stacking a few channels and adding a cathode follower with the unused triode stage to drive the eq. Made a nice guitar amp after that. Stock sound was very clean until cranked way up, which probably was a bit better for bass (and vocals).

Looks like it's already had a cap job and some other work done.

Here was mine with the original knobs

9BhQSLK.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Those Hammonds are indeed loverly - thanks.

Thanks coreyfyfe. Seller told me that it had recently been gone through since it didn't work when he got it. Any ideas on correct knobs? Chicken knobs are OK, but I'd prefer correct or close to it.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    These ones might be close to what I had, but now that I'm looking around they might not even have been original. Nothing else seemed to have been touched in decades on the amp I had so I assumed they were stock but it's hard to find pictures of that version of the amp. There are more pictures out there of the version with the chrome sides. The knob style on that seems to be more standard traynor style (below). There are some vintage ones on ebay

thcfpcccgkcjbxzx0qef.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice! My favorite P bass tone is my MIJ P bass through my old Fender PA100 (similar offering with 6L6 power section). Stacking the channels if fun. I also swapped out input resistors for several channels to make them hotter for bass.

Have fun with it!

Oren Hudson likes this.
  9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks for the info and pic.