1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD 1989 GK 400rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spirit of Ox, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    CC078CA2-7F13-4E14-8032-4EA6E3A96330. Just picked up this old GK for a good price and I must say this is an amazing amp that is quite powerful for 200 Watts. I’m running it into an Avatar 4ohm 2X12. This amp has such a warm yet hifi tone. I haven’t hit the rails or really got any overdrive out of it. I’ve experimented with the boost and master and seems to stay fairly
    Clean.
    Also, the amp got very warm after our 1 1/2 hour practice. That is normal right?

Chickenwheels and BrentSimons like this.
  2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I ran one of those for a couple of years. They are real work horses.

Great sound and put way more than you would think.

As for getting warm. Yes any amp can work up a sweat. Just be mindful and if you think there is a problem have a tech check it out.

Those amps are worth it.

Chickenwheels and Spirit of Ox like this.
  3. Spirit of Ox

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I heard its because instead of a cooling fan there is a large finned heatsink in the back.

themarshall likes this.
  4. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    My favorite rig was that head on top of an SVT cab. That amp really shines at higher volumes.

Chickenwheels and Spirit of Ox like this.
  5. Spirit of Ox

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Yeah I wish we played at higher volumes. If you look at the knobs, that's my playing volume with this band. It's still fairly loud. Also, notice how I boosted the mids so it really cuts through using a fairly mellow Bartolini equipped passive Jazz bass.

6. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Nice,
    How does this play with pedals? Mulling a trade offer that would snag me an '86 400RB.

In the past I'd only tried the Mk IV and the Mk III. I remember liking the Mk IV better.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :bassist:

8. Spirit of Ox

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I'm using a really transparent overdrive pedal and it sound great. Now you can crank the boost, lower the master and crank the volume to get a decent overdrive with the head.
    It's a great sounding head. So far my only complaint is that it gets really hot. There is no fan only big cooling fins. It hasn't shut off on me yet but it's a little unnerving. I created a topic on this a few days ago.

kbakerde and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  9. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    I read, did you do the test Agedhorse recommended? How does the 400RB sound through your 2x12 vs other cabs? I have a Rusty Box preamp I am going to use for overdrive.

10. Spirit of Ox

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I'm doing the test tonight and will post results. I sold the 2x12 (which I might regret), I did think it was lacking in the highs/high mids but was a solid cab with lots of lows. My Flite Cabs sound amazing. I'm a little worried that the amp runs hotter when using this set up but I will check the ohms tonight. I've been using this set up for years but no issues with my old Hartke head. The GK has a better tone than the Hartke IMO.

11. Spirit of Ox

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Ok I tested the cabs ohms and everything is good. Cranked the
    Amp all night and yeah it gets hot but never shuts off or sounds different.

12. TLBH

TLBH

Dec 4, 2017
    Land Of Oz
    Biggest problems with mine (circa 1981) is having to either put it on the floor, duck tape/velcro it to 2x15" (Bassman) cab(s).
    Not choices that I ever liked.
    Ended up using faux fur for awhile.
    It worked and looked cool, then "tube-lust" kicked in.
    Since we know tubes fail though, my 400RB tags along to every show "just in case".
    Mine has survived wrecks, falls, beer floods, bar brawls, sexcapades and still works like a champ after 38 years of abuse.
    My $.02

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  13. My ‘86 400rb is backup to my ‘90 800rb purely because the 800 has a detachable power cable and a DI. I’ve considered making these changes to the 400. It’s an awesome amp. Enjoy!

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  14. I use about the same EQ on mine.
    Usually have master wide open and boost down about 9 o'clock,
    but with a foot switch so I can keep it fairly clean but still kick in
    some boost/grit when I want to step out and get a little more rowdy.

Spirit of Ox likes this.