1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: '66 Ampeg B-15NF + repairs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christw, Nov 28, 2015.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I picked up this little diamond in the rough on Wednesday. It had some strange cobbled together modifications including a 1/4" jack sticking out of the amp side 4 pin connector. The cab side had the pins 2-3 jumper removed and a Black Widow installed. The BW turned out to have foam rot so the voice coil gap was filled with junk. I'll try to save that later on. The 6SL7's were also toast.

I have caps and logos on order from fliptops along with some other misc parts. (The plexi logo pictured here is off of the B-12XTC.) The speaker in there now a '59 CTS from an Allen organ. It was teamed with a 20w ultralinear 6L6 amplifier and may not be up to the task in the long run. That said, it sounds great.

More pics will come when parts arrive.

IMAG1055_zpsyaa5h9y6.

IMAG1057_zpsuds3ecmb.

IMAG1066_zpsdlackhpj.

IMAG1052_zpss9mfurgp.

IMAG1047_zpsjvgpo3tq.

IMAG1044_zpsqlawv2nc.

IMAG1041_zpsqcqub2rz.

IMAG1039_zpspqwmnwsa.

IMAG1037_zpswtxzyytf.

IMAG1035_zps98g26aek.

IMAG1024_zps7lvrglsp.

JimmyM and sjrash like this.
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    That's going to be a very sweet amp when you get her sorted.
    I played Cenzo Townsend's old one at Decoy studios the other day it had the Altec alnico 418 Series II speaker in it which I absolutely love anyway.
    I never knew they where an ultra linear design, cool:)

christw likes this.
  3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Thanks. The Allen organ amp was a model 20 ultralinear, not the B-15. :)

I've still never heard a bass through an Altec in person, let alone in a B-15. I can't seem to find them for below eBay prices.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Righto! yup I know those Altecs cost a silly amount of dosh these days but parts are still available in case of disaster and I love the tone of them so much, here is one, my pair are in the rehearsal studio in the original SVT 115 cabs.
    image.
    Other than that what about an old JBL D130, they also sound fabulous in that sort of thing.
    Well not that I have anything against the speaker you have, it's just I am a sucker for that metal dome sound I suppose.:)

christw likes this.
  5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I think a JBL D130 looks positively gorgeous in a B15 under the stage lighting. That said, I prefer the tone of the stock CTS driver in these amps having A/B'd them in a '67 B15NF. The speaker from the Allen is just a placeholder for testing.

I do have a D130 in a tone ring Showman cab but I'd be a fool to steal the speaker. I much prefer it in the Fender box. Maybe an Altec will pop up on CL for $100 or less someday... :D

Bassmec likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Is vintage important to you? For my money, the old CTS and the Eminence Delta 15a sound about identical.

christw likes this.
  7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    It isn't. I considered going that route but haven't really decided on anything as of yet. It'll be at least two weeks until I have enough money freed up. At least I have time to make up my mind! :D

JimmyM likes this.