NAD: Ampeg B4R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassrich, Sep 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    1474715880414.jpg Scored this yesterday at the local pawn shop all tested and a clean bill of health.

2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Nice, have fun! :)

3. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Sounds sweet I see an 810e in my future

High Camp likes this.
  4. the B4R got a bad rap from people but me and a few others who had that amp and paired it with the 8x10 thought it sounded pretty sick, I still have mine but sound advice if your going to run it hard get a more reliable computer fan to replace the cheapo thats inside and that's it,,, the fans gave out a couple amps I know of.

good score they are super load, pretty reliable and sound decent for rock music.

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  5. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Huh. This is a new one for me (not that I'm any kind of Ampeg expert). What are you running it through? How would you describe its sound?

6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Aren't those basically an svt4pro power section but with a solid state preamp?

7. I've had an Ampeg B4r and been using it about 8 years now. Easily my most favorite sounding head I've ever owned/used (excluding the Ampeg B15N).
    I had to replace the fan soon after buying it which was a simple fix. I have it bi-amped between a Ampeg SVT-15EN Classic Series and a Ampeg SVT-410HLF Classic Series. The tone is deadly and pretty-much exactly what I want.

My only issue with this head is that I've been having an intermittent problem with the sound cutting out from time to time for a few seconds especially when using my SansAmp Bass Driver DI or Way Huge Swollen Pickle WHE 401. Not sure what that's all about since it happens randomly. I have had it in for service three times since that started happening with no real conclusion other than being told that my guys cleaned a few contacts.

Regardless; this head is a beast and I'm really happy that I have it!
    Enjoy it bassrich!

8. Did you get the 810E and if so how does it sound?

9. Do you still have this amp? Do you like it? Have you had any problems and did you pair it with the 810?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021