NAD: Ampeg Micro VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SidNitzerglobin, Nov 17, 2020.

1. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Ordered this one last week along w/ a pair of SVT 210AV cabs & it came in today. I probably should have just waited until the cabs were in (UPS has them arriving at the store tomorrow), but I couldn't resist grabbing it this afternoon. :
    5zhYFIj.jpg
    So far it's a bunch of fun w/ the SB-1 through the PF115/PF210 stack & it seems to be comparing pretty favorably to my V-4B clean or dirty in the few A/B passes I've done. It'll take some pedal EQ-ing of the mids to get to the closest imitation for me I think, but it feels like I'd be pretty happy w/ the sounds coming out of this setup w/ just the bass & compressor feeding it. I'm super pleased w/ the progressive breakup & character from clean all the way through a pretty darn nice VT style grind w/ the gain around 3 o'clock.

The only perceived weaknesses so far are the lack of (for me) effective high-mid/attack shaping on board (although I wouldn't be surprised if the cabs were exacerbating the issue) & the full bore 24/7, pretty loud fan (not really noticeable at a bit above conversational volumes so far, but might not bode well for it being a great bedroom or bench amp for me).

The amp was kind of an add on to be honest w/ the primary objective being to get a couple of the SVT 210AV cabs to try w/ the V-4B but I'm glad I went for it so far. Even moreso if I can figure out a quieter fan solution for it so it will work in the bedroom or on the bench for me...

Incidentally, I can't believe I hadn't heard about Yamaha buying Ampeg until I saw the sticker on the plastic sleeve reading Yamaha Guitar Group 2018 when I was unboxing this one.

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Nice. You're going to enjoy those cabs.
    I use 2 with a Rumble 500. They get nice and gritty.

Ed Byrnes and SidNitzerglobin like this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had a VR head I would use on either a Mesa's 215 or 212. it worked pretty good on the gig, and you don't hear any fan noise there of course. Wish I had kept it since it would do 4ohms.

I now have a Micro CL head, and if a silent bedroom head is a must then maybe this would be more your head.
    It still gets suprisingly loud at rehersal for being 100w, and it has no fan, so no noise at home. But it's only rated for 8ohm, so I can only use one of my cabs.

SidNitzerglobin likes this.
  4. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

I probably don't have a genuine "need" for the quiet bedroom amp if I'm very honest w/ myself, the Quilter 101 I snagged used a while back does that job well as long as I don't mind plugging in a board along w/ it (which I almost always do anyway). The Micro VR handling that role would just make me feel better about adding it on to the cab purchase.

Speaking of which :D :
    FgrftPS.jpg
    I've only taken a cursory spin so far but the SVT 210AVs seem to be a pretty great match for the Micro VR tonally & well put together & finished. The stack is missing some of the low lows of the Portaflex or Orange stacks, but it seems like there's still plenty there for everything but dub/reggae tones w/o going to extreme lengths w/ the bass pot.

I thought there might be a vibration issue w/ one of the cabs but testing them out individually eliminated the problem & leads me to believe it's likely the room/150 year old windows/bunches of stuff sitting on plywood shelves rather than the cabs or speakers.

The small foot print of the vertical stack does seem pretty precarious on the medium pile carpet & I can see why many would be averse to stacking a V-4B on top of them side by side (still going to give this a try regardless & see how sketchy it feels). I'm thinking I'll likely need to at least lay down a larger plywood base for the cab feet to rest on.

Can't wait to see how they work w/ the V-4B for me :)

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Another amp I would own if it was 500 watts or greater...

6. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    Gotta give thanks to the hundreds of TalkBass users feedback that led me down the exact right path w/ those 210AV cabs paired up w/ the V-4B. They sound frickin' great so far! :D They seem to go a good bit lower pushed by it than the Micro VR & have a really nice low mid shape. So much easier to move than just about any other cabs I've tried to date as well.

1000% worth it so far :thumbsup:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Other than the H810e, probably my favorite Ampeg cabs.

Ed Byrnes, Bamboo633, JxBass and 2 others like this.
  8. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    If I could come up w/ a way to safely stack 4 of them w/ the V-4B on top I think I might succumb to another pair of them some day for the modular 8x10 setup...

I'm thinking some kinda ply base w/ cups for the feet to lock into to expand the footprint & some kinda detachable flat bracing on the back of the cabs to lock them together side to side? Run them as parallel pairs in series for an 8 ohm load? It would still be alot to schlep but actually manageable for me...

Ed Byrnes and JimmyM like this.
  9. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    Isn't the V-4B capable of handling a 2 ohm load though?

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Really looking at that micro VR stack

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  11. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    I've gigged this setup. It was very stable and sounded great. The V4b handles 2ohms so you can just daisy chain the 4.

V4b w 4x210.jpg
    V4 +4x210av.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  12. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Just used the micro vr and 210 cabs for a gig... great tone!

FF52588C-9EDF-4229-A3F6-8FC26432165D.jpeg

13. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Just got me the red version along with a new bass. Loving the tone!

IMG_3424.jpg

14. Always love to see a new acquisition of the Micro VR and 210AV setup. Congrats!

SidNitzerglobin and bass2020 like this.
  15. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Ive been tempted, theres one of these used at a local shop, and I already HAVE the 210AVs.....

16. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    I would absolutely have to stack them side x side instead of vertically: It would be a miniature shrine to an SVT/Double 810 rig, but more importantly, I know just as sure as I'm writing this . . . . . I'd pull the whole thing over.

17. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I own the same!.And your back will thank you for it!

18. What revisions do you have, guys? I'm waiting for mine to arrive (rev. B00) and I'd like to add a second 210AV, but I am afraid of that clipping issue I so often read about. Don't know actually whether the revisions have really fixed this issue or not.

19. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    I can't find a revision number on mine. I've not encountered any kind of hard clipping w/ it FWIW but it's only been used at home so far & not pushed all that hard.

20. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Gold Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I like to run the cord under the amp, down the back, and out the front at the bottom.
    This also protects the jack on the amp.