1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD... Ampeg PF-50T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cazclocker, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Just bought a PF-50T for a good price from a fellow TB'er here. Can't wait to give 'er a go, I expect it will reach me in about 4 or 5 days or something like that.
    I'm getting my latest band up and running, an old school Chicago blues band. I plan to run the new-to-me amp into my extra Ampeg PF-115HE. Should sound good.

2. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Just checked the tracking #... it's supposed to get here Friday...

lowplaces likes this.
  3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I run the same head into the same cab... Stellar!! Congrats!!

-robert

cazclocker likes this.
  4. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Good deal.

Let us know how she sounds :bassist:

cazclocker likes this.
  5. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Oh man, I've been loving my new-to-me PF-50T so much I forgot to follow up on this thread. I've had it for about 10 days or so now, and I've had 2 band rehearsals and 3 gigs. I can really say this amp is the real Ampeg deal - all tubes and all warm/fuzzy. I play in a blues band so it's got the fatness I want from an amp. I use it with my Ampeg PF-115HE and it's a great combination. The volume is surprising - so far the gigs I've played are small rooms and the tone is spectacular, to my ears. The good thing is, I was already familiar with the control layout because I also have a PF800... very similar. This is only my 3rd all-tube amp and it's a keeper.

6. Quick question, do you "flip top" the amp inside the cabinet for transport to the gig, and if so, how's that working out for you? Is it a one-man schlep?

cazclocker likes this.
  7. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    So far I've been schlepping my cabinet and the PF-50T separately. But I'm working on scoring an extra top for my PF-115HE... when I get that, I plan on permanently mounting the PF-50T on one of the tops, and keep the other top as a spare for when I run the same cab as an extension for my PF800, which is permanently mounted on the lid of my OTHER PF-115HE. That will render my spare cab essentially double-duty.

Mushroo and High Camp like this.
  8. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    The PF-50T sure is sweet.

I've been running one now for a couple of months, and really am happy with it. World class tone when coupled with the right cabinet. For me, that's a TL606.

9. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Would the 50 Watts and two decent 112 cabs be enough stage volume in a Blues, Motown, or Americana band ?

cazclocker likes this.
  10. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    With the DI's in back, I don't see why not.

11. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Good deal. I just switched to Flats on both my basses and I know for the stuff I play a tube amp would get me where I want to be.

I'm using a Class D 500 watt head now and as good as it sounds, I know I should have went with tubes.

cazclocker likes this.
  12. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    There's nothing harder than trying to guess another man's needs volume wise.

I'm very happy with 50 Watts into an efficient cabinet, and I had volume to burn with a not so efficient cabinet. The bands I work with are both running Bose PA and are not at all loud. Once in a blue moon I get to play larger stages with really nice PA. I get mic'd then.

13. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Yes, I see your point regarding another player's needs. I can't see myself ever playing in a loud band. Since I've owned my 500 watt head I've come to realize I simply don't need that much power.

I think I'll go ahead and jump ship and get a PF-50T.

That user friendly bias feature looks appealing too.

JimmyM and cazclocker like this.
  14. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    I agree with Interceptor's view re: another guy's volume needs. Very personal decision on any bass player's part.

The output power of a PF-50T is relatively low, but its speaking voice combined with the two DIs right on the back make it a pretty versatile amp that happens to be one of the best sounding ones to come our way in a long time. I guess you could choose an SVT instead (I've never had one), but I'm really liking this little PF-50T for now.

I don't think you're going to regret buying one,

lowplaces likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use my PF-50T and a PF112hlf playing in a 50's-60's-70's band that does a lot of Motown and similar. Yesterday we did a gig in a 300 seat venue where the sound tech got scared by the buyer into not running any bass in the PA, so I took matters into my own hands and cranked it. And by "cranked it," I mean I turned up loud enough to be present in the mix but still had some headroom. It was fine.

cazclocker likes this.
  16. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Good deal. If it worked in that size venue with headroom to spare that's about all I need to hear. I doubt I'll ever play that size of a venue anyhow.

JimmyM likes this.
  17. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Dayum, bro! What lowplaces said. That's what I call a ringing endorsement. I have to say I haven't felt this good about an amp purchase in a long time...not even my PF800.

lowplaces and JimmyM like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Definitely not the loudest amp ever made, and I guess not everyone can get away with it, but plenty for me and hopefully you guys!

lowplaces likes this.
  19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Have to admit I'm curious about this setup. I do a fair number of jazz gigs where it likely would be enough volume, though I ran a one-off el-34 based power section with Monique and that was struggling a bit. I figure the Ampeg voicing is maybe a bit "louder" with more mid grind?

cazclocker likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't know about louder as I don't know anything about the power amp in question. I'm no expert but I believe a pair of EL34's can also do 50w, right? The PF-50T has flat response with knobs at noon and the ultra switches off, so copping an abundance of mid is definitely a possibility. But of course I can't tell you which would be louder. Loud enough for me, though.