1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD - Ampeg PF-50T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJuju, Aug 13, 2019.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I don’t think I’ve ever done a NAD post before although I have posted in various categories of amps in the past. I’ve done what many others have done here— realized I no longer wanted to pack the big stuff out for next to nothing in pay.

I did still want a nice tube amp and some old school tone possibilities. I’m certain there are many ways to skin that cat for less pounds and dollars, but this one just had the mojo I wanted. We are still getting acquainted, but in the store, she was amazing. I’m pretty sure they were ready for me to leave. :laugh: I’ll post a photo, you’ve seen this one before so I’ll spare every angle. I do have one question for those with something similar. Did you attach the amp for the full flip-top experience?

A19AAD21-C8F8-447B-A428-BB6EBBFF1C9A.

2. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I did the flip-top thing, same amp, later-model cab.

Search for an instructional video on the flip installation, there are one or 2 gotchas, but it was pretty easy.
    And I think I saw some miss-info out there that you could not mount the pf50t this way ( you can ).

It works, it's ultra-cool to show off, and sounds very good to these old ears. Just watch your back carrying it.

Congrats!

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Congrats on the great new amp head. I have one and it has tone for days. If you read the thread there is a setting in there somewhere to make it sound like a B-15N somewhere.

4. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Thanks... I believe the full flip-top experience will be forthcoming.

One other question... for the biasing lights. After 20 minutes, mine is solid green until I play. Then the flicker based on how long and what I play. Is that to be expected?

5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I love my PF-50. I attached mine to the flip top because what I was looking for was a transportable combo that packs tons of tonal character. It packs tons of aesthetic character as a bonus.

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    dbbltime likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it is. That means it's working properly.

As for the fliptop thing, my very least favorite thing with Portaflexes is flipping the top. It's awkward and adds a bunch of weight to the cab. The only advantage it has IMHO is a convenient place for storage while driving to the gig that doesn't take up any extra room or require a case or tote bag for the head. As much as I love Portaflexes, I know it seems weird that I don't like flipping the lid, but what can I tell you?

Zbysek likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Zbysek likes this.