NAD and Great Deal on a Stereo Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Dec 19, 2015.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I wanted a STEREO amp so I can run som A B tests on different cabs while using the same amp (so that I'm hearing the difference in the cab and not the amp).

Crown has come out with an updated version of their XLS1000 amp, now called the XLS1002. The new amp sells (online price) for $299. But you can still get the old model for $179 at a couple places. I got mine at MF but they are now out. BH audio still is showing it in stock. Here's the link:

Crown Audio XLS 1000 DriveCore Stereo Power Amplifier XLS1000

This amp has some Serious power in Bridged Mode.
    215W/Channel @ 8 Ohms Stereo
    350W/Channel @ 4 Ohms Stereo
    550W/Channel @ 2 Ohms Stereo
    700W @ 8 Ohms Bridged
    1100W @ 4 Ohms Bridged

And here's how it looks under my Headway EDB-2 which I'm using for the front end.

Crown XLS1000 amp with EDB-2.jpg

I probably should have posted this under my 12 Steps for Bass and Gear Addicts thread.

pacojas and Jake deVilliers like this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1 Nice price, great product, I'm hoping that the next interation of comercial digital power amps have a smaller form/factor and footprint. I now have a Jule M700 that weighs 7 lbs. it's a great power amp, fortunately I got mine from Nostatic used at a very reasonable price, but even then, it's expensive.

Ric

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    From the title, I thought you grabbed an NAD pre-amp as part of your testing rig! Then, I realized that it's "New Amp Day." Bummer. An NAD pre-amp would have been cool! :)

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    A while back, I had my NAD 3140 integrated amp worked on. It's connected to my original Bose 501s (with new surrounds) in my music room. Unfortunately the NAD 4150 tuner doesn't appear to be repairable.

5. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The XLS1000 at BH Photo is now $199.00 (it was $179 yesterday). :meh:

6. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    But I bought one anyway.

I also have a Headway EDB-2 coming that I got an incredible deal on: $165.00 !!

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    My NAD pre-amp wasn't worth repairing-- switched to a Hafler 110. Sorry for going OT. :)

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I'm still using my NAD 7140 Reciever and have a NAD 3020 amp, 4020 tuner and 5120 turntable. We have a great shop here in St.Louis that keeps salvaging parts from older NAD's.

Ric

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    That is an incredible deal on the EDB-2. Enjoy it.☺️

Ric

10. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I can't resist an NAD thread - I still rock my 5240 (not mine in the pic, but exactly the same):

5922946800_1a6dbe3a7b_b.jpg

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

WaaaaayyyyY OT - I recall seeing a group photo of Chuck Mangione's group, showing (el.) bassist Tony Levin and his "rig", back in the early 70's.
    I swear this was his power amp:
    1758.jpg

12. rickwolff

I love the VU meters. Maybe have to look into Ashdown next time around.

13. Don Kasper

YES!!!
    We don't need no stinkin' "bells and whistles"!
    VU's are the cat's pajamas!
    Thanks.

14. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    This is what my Hafler feeds. The Adcom GFA-555. :)
    adcom_gfa-555_power_amplifier.jpg

15. rickwolff

Does that come with its own forklift?

Don Kasper likes this.
  16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Oh, and speaking of cabinets-- my 1951 15" coax Tannoy Monitor Silver. You wanna talk bass? :) I'll stop now.
    TannoySmall.jpg

Gaolee and rickwolff like this.
  17. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    No, but this gem is no lightweight either... it drives the Tannoy. Five years in loving restoration.

IMG_2892.jpg

Gaolee and flatback like this.
  18. rickwolff

I like almost anything from 1951 - the year I was born.

19. rickwolff

I that what's known affectionately as a 'Lead Sled'?

20. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    I love how this thread has gone off topic. Mostly because I didn't pickup on "New Amp Day" and eagerly opened the thread up when it popped up to see how someone might be using a NAD power amp with a Headway. I've been rocking old NAD equipment for a long time. Still have a 5340 CD player and a 6300 Single tape deck in my home stereo. An old NAD 3140 integrated amplifier sits out in the garage powering some Bose 201s. The home theater system has gravitated to a Parasound amp and preamp into a set of B&W Dm22's. To bring this all around, a number of years ago I was speaking with Lou Hinkley, maker of the Daedalus line of speaker cabinets. They are some of the most beautiful speakers cabinets I have had the pleasure of listening to and looking upon. He swore up and down that the Parasound amplifiers were the only way to go when powering his speakers. It got me curious about Parasound for home theater applications. It always seemed a little too heavy for gigging. Still though, I wonder what a Parasound amp would sound like with a MAS 45 and the Grace Felix. Tasty I am sure...

Jake deVilliers and Don Kasper like this.
  21. Don Kasper

I don't think this thread is (very far) off topic - who else, but Double Bassists, know that the true (re)production of beautiful low frequencies often requires rather heavy, cumbersome and (some would say), ancient equipment!
    Thanks.

22. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice! Lovely transformers. I have a friend in Toronto who restores tube amps for a living.

23. rickwolff

I also Love off topic. After all, it's a Jazz thread (where you never have to play the same tune the same way twice).

24. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Moving a little back to our discussion. My first bass amp was single channel Bell P.A. amplifier driving the 12" speaker in a black and white Zenith Console TV. It actually sounded pretty good. My second amp was a Montgomery Ward Airline Bass Amp clone of the Supro Thunderbolt
    It had a nice Jensen 15", but the back of the amp was entirely open, so the Zenith actually had better bass response.

Ric

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  25. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Okay, I just gotta tell the story because you said that. The Bell 2200C was a somewhat esoteric and coveted early integrated amp. Consistent with what Ric posted, Bell, of Columbus, Ohio made mostly commercial sound-reinforcement equipment. They, however, let their engineers cut loose and develop some advanced designs for home audiophiles. Such was the Bell 2200C. The one pictured belonged to my dad, as did the Tannoy. The output tranny of the Bell was a custom-designed and custom-wound unit that contained a cathode feedback winding. As I recall, it was akin to some of the things that McIntosh was doing at the time. In any case, that cathode feedback winding was the Achilles heel of the design because if an output tube went bad, it would cause high levels of current to flow through that winding and burn it. That was the fate suffered by the amp pictured.

Bell went under around 1964 and all spare parts were thrown into a landfill. It took me five years of hunting (not in the landfill :)) to find another original output tranny. That was before the internet was generally useful for such things. Years later, I ended up finding others and hoarding them. When I restored the amp, I modified the circuit by placing a fuse in the cathode feedback connection to protect the winding. The fully functional Bell and Tannoy are in my office at work functioning as they did in 1955-- 60 years ago! They're a tribute to my dad, who sparked my interest in sound and hearing.

Oh, and that Tannoy Monitor Silver... not long ago, one of them sold on eBay (no cabinet included) for $13k. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    rickwolff likes this.
  26. rickwolff

Great story Les. Thanks for sharing it.

27. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Sometimes life repeats itself, my Ampeg B-15N(C) is a Cathode biased amp, that also has a heater, as part of it's transformer design. I bought the amp in 1974. It was doing just fine, until I had to
    play a street party in Berkeley MO. around 1984, where they were using gass powered, unregulated A.C. generators. It weakend the Power Transformer, which went down shortly after. At that time, the only way to get a replacement was to have the transformer re-wound, or locate a NOS replacement from Ampeg. It took over 12 years to get a NOS unit. I was lucky enough to have a good friend with connections to St. Louis Music, and just as they were shipping all the parts out to LOUD Technologies, he sourced a replacement, from one of the parts bins, that were headed to China.

This particular amp has a Double Baffle Reflex Cabinet which makes it rather valuable, and much sought after. It's been totally restored, by a local technician.

IMG_0704_2.jpg IMG_0706_2.jpg

So Les, we are both lucky fellows indeed. !

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Jake deVilliers and drurb like this.
  28. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021