1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD...and more gas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Aug 24, 2012.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I picked up an Ibanez Promethean P500H from ebay recently.
    I'm impressed how small it is, yet it feels substantial. Lots of different tones, thanks to the "Vibe" control and EQ.

This is going up against my Tubeworks RT-3300, and I'm using an Acme B2 series II @ 4 ohms.

Well, the Acme is definitely happier with more wattage (260 watts vs 500 watts). The rest of the band like the added clarity of the P500H. But the Tubeworks just has "something" about it, and I can't help but wondering if the real issue is the Acme. You see, I used to run the Tubeworks into a Carvin RL6815, and that was one of my favorite tones, but it just wasn't portable. So now I'm guessing whether I can choose between heads if I'm not certain about the cabinet.

Thoughts about running either of these heads with a good 15" cab, like maybe a GB Focus? Can't find 'em local.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What's the RT-3300?

I have a Tubeworks Mosvalve 300watt I really like, man. Yeah, there is "something" about them.

The Acme's are great cabs. Really wide range sort of "full spectrum dominance", but, they give up a good bit of spl for running so deep. Probably why it opens up some more with the stronger amp. If you find you really don't need all the subwoofer deep sort of extension and sort of "regular bass cab bass" is enough, a different cab would up your output pretty noticably. Then you could still run the Tubeworks.;)

3. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Saw the Promethean at a local retailer and it looked/sounded good. However, my $$ always seems to travel much further when I buy used.

Just picked this up today; some of the pots are still scratchy after a good cleaning so I'm hoping that will clear up with use. I'll be able to crank it up tomorrow night when I set up for practice.

20120828_223611.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Oh, my! That looks like one skank reggae rig! Or hard rock, or ...
    That's the first I've ever seen the RT-3300 in a 115 combo, or the standalone 115 extension cab. I've come across the 410 cab, which sounds awesome but is really heavy.

My RT-3300 has the scratchy pots as well, and it doesn't seem to matter how much Caig I pump into them. I haven't been able to find direct replacements with that "click" to them.

Back on topic, my band really likes the way the Promethean adds punch to my sound, so it might stick around a bit longer.

5. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Well, I've had a couple days to fiddle with the new toy so I may be able to help just a tad. IMO, cab is crucial with this amp. It seems very forgiving so if you crank things up loud it breaks up a bit (not unpleasant, but not all that great sounding either) but it needs the right cabinet to sound good. A decent 410 would be just right for it (at 4 ohms).

With the two Tubeworks 15's it's more of a classic/hard rock rig, possibly country but not reggae. The cabs are too small to give it the bottom it needs for those styles, but it does get very loud, more than enough for my needs (metal/hardcore). It's not ideal for those styles either but fits the bill for now until I can get a head for my Henry the 8x8.

Speaking of which (and my theory behind having the right cab) I ran it into the Henry and the sound was just sick. Clean, plenty of bottom, articulate, etc, etc. The Henry can take more power but it was louder than the two 15's and pounded pretty good. Wish I could pull the 3300 out of the combo cab and into it's own 'head' cab for use with ol' Henry because it rocked.

Glad the Promethean is working for you; I'm sure the extra headroom is nice. But don't let the 3300 languish! For the pots, pick up some of Radio Shack's spray cleaner/lube and douse them in that stuff. Then work the knobs back and forth for a while, and do that twice a day for several days. The master volume pot on my combo was the worst (most were a little scratchy) and now it is almost completely cleared up, along with all the others.

Say, what do you think of the tube stage of the preamp on it? I don't care for the way it seems to suck out a little of the lows and highs of my sound. This is opposite of my old Trace Elliot rig, and a Trace 2x15 setup my friend just got. Turning the tube pre knob up all the way made it generate some nice harmonics that richened up the sound, giving it more boldness. Not so on the Tubeworks. I even put in a new EH tube in it and that made it worse. Guess I'll just use the FET stage instead.

Thanks,

Eric

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    There's no reason you can't build a head case and install the RT-3300 in it. If you don't feel comfortable woodworking, a cabinet shop can do it fairly reasonably.

I replaced the Sovtek 12ax7 with a TAD 7025-S, which I think improved the tone. I chose it after reading a lengthy 12ax7 shootout I found on the web somewhere. I don't think it sucks any lows at all, but the FET preamp is more detailed.

http://thetubestore.com/tad7025s.html

Back on topic of the Promethean:
    I tried it through an Epifani UL112 and the noise level was unbearable. Same cab with an Epifani UL501 sounded incredible! Makes me wonder how the cab would pair up with the Tubeworks...