NAD - and that old amp smell…

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gtlover, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Finally after years of looking in the usual places, a Yamaha B100 with the J120L (215L) cab shows up nearby on CL!
    88707268-8B9F-4855-9A99-68E75E8B6A05.jpeg
    scored it for $120, and I think it was the original owner! It’s been sitting in storage for years, and it has that old amp smell - dust cooking off or electrolyte leaking out of the caps.
    This was the same amp I used in high school for jazz band and jazz choir; I also have the matching bass (‘87 Jazz Bass Special) so this is the throwback rig! Still sounds pretty dang good, and that’s without cleaning the pots or jacks or anything. I’ll be dragging it over to my rehearsal space so my band mates can enjoy it.

Attached Files:

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I played the B100 115 combo for about 3 years in a university bag band. Surprisingly loud for such a modest power level. Ought to be even better with a 215 cab.

gtlover and jeff7bass like this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Sharp looking amp.

HardNHeavy, Clutchcargo and gtlover like this.
  4. nickelwound

nickelwound

Feb 24, 2021
    CA
    Nice...I had the G100 II half stack for many years and played a bunch a shows with it. Yamaha always makes nice stuff. Enjoy!

gtlover likes this.
  5. Thanks! I’ve also got another B100 and the 115 which just doesn’t move enough air - I have to crank it to about 8 and our drummer isn’t all that loud.

It’s funny though - back in high school I thought the distortion channel sounded terrible, now I use it all the time!

6. That brings back fond memories.

Check those speakers. Hopefully it was stored well and those speakers haven't begun to disintegrate. Mine wasn't, and unfortunately the speaker cones were quite brittle by the time I got it.

gtlover likes this.
  7. We’ll see - I did a quick clean of the pots and it went from “kinda loud but fuzzy” to “pretty tight and oh crap I need earplugs”.

Lowbrow, tindrum and frankie5string like this.
  8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Nice rig!!!

gtlover likes this.
  9. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Wow that is a beautiful amp, AND it has distortion, awesome!! :hyper:

gtlover likes this.
  10. Now I just need a footswitch to activate that sweet 70’s fuzz.

Ellery likes this.
  11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    What is a "bag band"?

John Webb likes this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It's a typo of (big band) :bag:.

Johnny Fingers and abarson like this.
  13. I love those old Yammys!

gtlover likes this.
  14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Now we wait for the haters to show up berating you for: A) using an amp; B) using old technology; C) using a 100 watt amp because it’s not loud enough; and/or D) using a 100 watt amp because it’s too loud:D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Artman, BassikLee, Ed Bloom and 3 others like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Congrats. Great amp. Enjoy.

gtlover likes this.
  16. I know they're all just jealous because I got a 2x15 cab for less than it would cost for the lumber to build it.

17. Clean 100 watt amp, great CL find!:cool:

gtlover likes this.
  18. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Awesome... congratulations on your "new" amp!!

gtlover likes this.
  19. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Ew, why does it smell?
    Cool amp though.

gtlover likes this.
  20. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    YES! My one and only for about 10 years — bought new, dragged to hundreds of stages throughout the east coast, always loud & proud, and universally LOVED by sound people for its punch and lack of ‘boom.’ Treble a click to the left, bass a click to the right, mid straight up and bright at 3 o’clock. Loved this amp tho it literally broke my L5 vertebra.
    Jealous … and hope you get it into fighting trim and enjoy the heck out of it!

wave rider and gtlover like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021