1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD:Ashdown CMT-100 & Klystron 115H Cabinet...(!) In Praise OF!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic69, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    AshdowmRig.

I'm sorry for the awful picture; I have PC issues!
    Still, I thought it worthy to post. I rec'd the cab last week the head this AM.

What a great match, what a KILLER sound.
    TUBES! Yes! They punch.

2. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    Maybe some sound samples in the future? I am considering picking up one of these amps and would surely appreciate it.

Classic69 likes this.
  3. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    I'll try to post something, problem is same as with posting pics tho!
    I'm not a fan of mere verbal descriptions of sound- However::D

I am very impressed with Ashdown, and I'm not a newbie to all-tube rigs at all. (Mesa Buster; 2 B15's).
    I wanted a fairly portable all-tube rig; this does the trick. There is a LOT of eq between the "shifts" on all 3-bands, a "mellow" on the gain, and the cab's horn can be high/low or defeated.

Very powerful highs, mids, lows, excellent and even note definition, and serious powerful round punch that I feel you can only get with valves (Hey, it's an Ashdown).

I'd suggest a vendor that will let you return if not happy; I had that in mind, but it is NOT going to happen with this combo!:bassist:

Turkeypills likes this.
  4. bufert57

bufert57 Ashdown User

Apr 12, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: 1964 Ears
    This looks amazing. Ive been wanting to try the CTM100 for some time now.

Would love to see some more pictures too.

Classic69 likes this.
  5. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks, it really is a sensational match-up. Again sorry for limitations of picture.
    Maybe I can get G/F to take some better pics and I'll post up. It looks LOTS better than pictured above; way more symmetrical. The cab fits the heads' dimensions fine; NOT to mention how well they sound together.

Ashdown does some mighty fine work out of the UK shop.

6. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    aead07e1-d7d5-4fd4-bf11-8ab06ef5ab8f.

BUMP-
    Not good at all, but at least a little better, clearer shot of what I am totally loving right now.
    Ahhhhhhh Tubes.

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Nice score! I would love me a CMT-300 but my ABM 900 is kicking some serious ass too. I bet it sounds sweet!

Classic69 likes this.
  8. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks-really happy with the tones this puts out. The 300 must be incredible, with all that horsepower.

This is the 1st Ashdown product I've owned, (besides the Compressor Pedal); very impressed with their workmanship & design.
    As I mentioned early, I wanted an all-tube head powering a 15" Driver, a more powerful" B15-type" configuration, no flip-top of course.
    This combo, with it's own character, does the trick.

rodl2005 likes this.
  9. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    That's one nice looking rig congrats. I would like to hear some sound clips also.

Classic69 likes this.
  10. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks; wish I could post some audio really.
    It 's not possible to verbalize the PUNCH of the lows, and the crisp mids and defined tight highs that the valves/tubes in this baby give!
    That cab & 15" Driver is no slouch either; I don't use the horn, nice to know it's there if I want it.
    Considering the issues I have with pics, Sound may be a problem for me!:roflmao:
    I'll think on it!

11. I can confirm, being an owner of the CTM300, that it is indeed an absolute monster! The oomph is utterly amazing, I've barely cranked it yet having had too many stop start bands for the past year, but it's equally amazing at low volumes. The EQ on this amp is amazing, I typically boost the lows to around 3oclock, the mids to 1oclock and the same with the treble.

As everyone knows, the only issue with the CTM300 is the weight but I'm a young guy and I don't mind lugging things as long as I get a great tone!

I'd seriously recommend anyone who's thinking about getting one of the CTM series, to get one, they are awesome amps!

12. Isn't the tone stack passive on this bad boy? Cut only

13. It is indeed passive as far as I am aware :)

14. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    +1 Grab 'em up, but ONLY if you want to sound like the (tube/valve) BUSINESS!

The thought of the 300 is scary; I've barely opened up the 100 and it has ballz. Plus- the DI is linked to the transfomer, so I am very anxious to hear this amp FOH.
    Just got my covers for mine yesterday; now ready to roll with it.

As far as EQ, besides the basics, the shift options on each knob can provide a major array of tube tone; all good.

I've loved all-tube since my 1st B15N back ago, I have a Mesa Buster 2x10 wedge and a JAGUAR 200 4xKT88.

The Ashdown gear is top end IMO. Please do yourself a favor & check out their Facebook page; they have posted custom-shop rigs that will make your jaw drop I think!

15. Most certainly agree, Ashdown are right at the top of the amp game. All their amps I've played, which is most, sound great to me! Being a Brit it's also nice to have such a nice helpful amp manufacturer fairly local.

I've not taken the volume past 9oclock yet, this is also mostly with a low gain as well, I'm hoping to open it up a tad on Friday night as I'm gigging so looking forward to cranking it up a bit!

Classic69 likes this.
  16. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014

STAND BACK!:laugh:

17. So I gigged it for the first time tonight and well I can't quite hear much currently! Even with my ear plugs in it was bloody loud but my word the tone was second to none! So bass-y but with a definite bite to it. Imagine ampeg but more true and with the mids turned up on the EQ with some front and back end drive. Perfection.

All of that with my cheap-y Laney Richter 410 cab! Can't wait till my cab fund grows large enough to get the cab I want!

Anyone wanting tube tone should certainly look at the CTM series, the 100 is as nice a tone as the 300 but the power and presence of the 300 is mind blowing!

ChanceC5 likes this.
  18. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Perfect description! In fact, if there is one "tone zone" that needs to be monitored IMO on these great Ashdown CMT', it's the mids.
    Not harsh, not unpleasant, but very defined; enough to need a little TLC and scooping, at least with my gear.
    NOTHING like the push of an all valve/tube rig; the presence & bloom is a thing of beauty!

And 3X the power from the 300:- As we say here, in my 'hood in SoCal:
    Ay-yi-yi...Yeee haaaa!