1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD Bassman 500 mini review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 23, 2016.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I got my Bassman 500 a few days ago after originally flip flopping back and forth between an Aguilar TH500 and one of a handful of Markbass amps. I was looking for the perfect old school tone to go with my arsenal of Fender AVRI's. As I have stated before I have not taken Fender Bass amps seriously for decades and decided to try the Bassman 500 out based upon the seemingly good reputation it has here on TB and quite honestly...its looks.

So I got the amp a few days ago but did not get to crack open the box until last night. I plugged it in to my Bergantino NV610. I let the 12AX7's warm up a tad and plugged in my AVRI 63 P with rounds. What I got from the clean channel was that classic Fender clean tone that I have always dug but with the power and bottom end that match the modern needs. Did a little thumpin and was very happy with the pure tone. Now I know the Berg certainly was helping out a good deal but I dug it.

I have NEVER been a fan of OD or distortion on bass....never. I had no intention of ever playing through the modern channel with the OD but since I was checking out the amp and it was new...I needed to at least make sure it worked. Well an hour later my wife came in with a smile on her face asking me how much longer I was gonna be playing...which is code speak for (your too damn loud and your daughter needs to go to sleep). Needless to say, I really dug the OD channel. It is legit. nice edge that can be dialed in to taste but never loosing the bottom and you can blend it in to the clean tone.

Overall first impressions....it is a clear out of the park homer. Tone, light weight, styling, options and power. What is not to dig if you love the classic Fender clean tone as the basis of your sound. Now for the real test... to gig it with multiple cabs and see what she can do in the spotlight.

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh yeah... just ordered the Fender Bassman Neo 410 to go with..... :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Glad you like it, it's a great sounding amp!

armybass likes this.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad you like it! And keep in mind, the "Overdrive" channel also does a killer clean tone (and can be dialed in to sound very "Ampeg-ish." So, with the flick of a switch, you can have two different clean tones to choose from. :thumbsup:

jdubbass38 and armybass like this.