1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD - Blackstar Fly3 Bass. Mini Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smittybass33, Jul 19, 2016.

1. At home visiting family and didn't bring an amp to practice with. Figured I could go without an amp for a short period of time. Ended needing a little amp to practice and rehearse at low volumes. Looked around and this mini rig caught my eye. Figured for $100 I could give it a shot. Worst it will be a little farty plastic amp I could use here and there for on the road practice or what have you. This little thing is great. Easily beyond expectations. There weren't many reviews so I was taking a shot on it. For 6 watts with the extension cab it is plenty loud, doesn't fart out (low b sounds good), and is extremely convenient.

Fun little piece of gear that I'm sure I will be getting my money's worth out of even if it ends up a beat up practice amp used time to time or just a mini boom box.

I usually use my Eden at home for practice since it sounds great at low volumes and has the ability to be a headphone/DI with no cab needing to be used. Pleasantly surprised and thought to share. Thoughts?
    IMG_20160716_133536.

revroy and Strung_Low like this.
  2. Great to hear it sounds good! Cool setup! I was thinking of one of those or a Hotone amp and make baby sized cabs. I'd like to get something that will run off 12V and 220 VAC for running around the Philippines and playing with the acoustic guitars everyone seems to have in my wife's province. Is the power supply internal? Hotone's use a wal wart, which makes it easy to go to 220V. Then again, a stepdown transformer for one of those wouldn't be very big, heavy or expensive.

smittybass33 likes this.
  3. External power supply and can be battery powered.

4. cultrvultr

cultrvultr Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    Bump. Anybody else tried one of these? I tried the little Eden mini amp and it was a joke. Wondering if I could use this to play along with an acoustic guitarist in a living room.

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Have one. Been using about two months. Spend a lot of time with it in hotel room when traveling for work and for a week at the beach on vacation. The supplied batteries last a looong time. I ordered the power adapter but am still using mine with the supplied batteries. Had I known this I would have just ordered some rechargeable batteries vs the power adapter.

Sounds pretty good. I don't get the compressor but it's a nice little box. Obviously not going to be playing any gigs with it. I could see it working with an acoustic guitar or two. Sounds nice. A little boxy but much better than I expected to be honest and it is TINY.

Works great as a portable speaker for streaming music.

I would definitely recommend it.

BadExample and cultrvultr like this.
  6. cultrvultr

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    Cool. Thanks everybody. I think one of these is in my future. I had a Roland.microcube but it was too big. This looks perfect.

BadExample likes this.
  7. katysax

katysax

Nov 5, 2012
    I got this mini combo pack and highly recommend it. However, I think both speakers are necessary for it to sound good. With both speakers I can use this to accompany 15 or so ukulele players indoors in a largish room. In some ways I like the tone better than my Phil Jones Double Four. It has a bit more punch, even if considerably less volume. The two speakers give the sound a surprising amount of depth.

BadExample and cultrvultr like this.
  8. cultrvultr

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    How are the low notes?

9. katysax

katysax

Nov 5, 2012
    You won't get the same low notes as a large speaker. However, I think the perception of the low notes is actually lower than what I get with the Double Four. I should clarify that when I say they give the sound depth I really mean dimension rather than lower notes. Keep in mind these are 3 inch speakers. For me it takes both the speakers to get a real bass sound. I think the lows compare favorably to the Yamaha THR10 which is a larger cabinet.

You might listen to the Fly3 and think it is just another toy amp. That's what I thought at first. But when I connected the second speaker and experimented with the controls I was surprised. It kind of blew me away when it held it's own with 15 jamming ukes plus harmonica. There were lots of comments that it sounded great.

There are a couple of people that I play with who intensely dislike the Double Four. They make me turn the treble all the way down and I think that is too much.

It comes down to expectations. In this case my expectations are being driven by comparison to other 3" battery powered amps. To me the Fly3 seems to defy the laws of physics, but it is still a small amp.

cultrvultr likes this.
  10. cultrvultr

Jun 16, 2008
    Oakland, California
    Thanks @katysax great to hear! I think there is one in my future. I heard the Eden and it was a joke. This looks a lot better

11. 3rd times a charm. I just posted this on two other threads looking for this one :D

But for those interested in hearing the tone: