NAD: Canadian made, doggo approved!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BBassBassington, Jun 11, 2021.

1. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Finally got to go to Long and McQuade this morning.

My goal? Return a pedal, get some Roto flats to try (great), and oh yeah, try out a Traynor Small Block 200H through a Fender Rumble 210.

Not wanting to spend real money I grabbed my Boss NS-2, Boss LMB-3, and my Fender Rumble 500 head. I love the Rumble, don't get me wrong. But it's 3 years old now and I recently learned Traynor actually makes all their stuff in Canada. (Amazing.) Plus it was my last day to get an extra year of warranty, free. (Also amazing.) And the final bean in the GAS tank was that I'm going to be the only YouTuber with demos of a Traynor amp.;)

Traynor > 800HD > 500H. No question. I can safely say Fender really made solid improvements from the 200/500H to the 800HD. It's quieter and it sounds more full. Plus it just plain looks better. So if anyone ever asks is there a difference? Yes. Is it worth replacing a 500 with an 800HD? Probably not, but it's very there.

The Traynor kind of blew me away. It's got a lot more volume than I expected and that sound! It's like a cross between a tube and a class D version each of a Fender and a GK. In a tiny attractive package.

The low expander is actually useful too. Essentially it makes it sound worse until you hit 3 o'clock and then it's motown time! It's suddenly a completely different amp.

And my doggo? I fully expected him to go into another room while I played and then demand food as compensation for tolerating me after. Instead he lied down and listened while he watched cars drive by. Didn't even ask for food after, which he still got because he's a good boy. It even passed the sniff test.
    20210611_115323.jpg 20210611_115355.jpg

tl;dr Roto flats = :thumbsup: Traynor Small Block 200H = :woot::bassist::hyper:

Murch, RColie, Qlanq and 43 others like this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Nice dog. Any bit with a dog in it always goes over well. Looks like a nice little amp and you can use your headphones with it.

Enjoy!

Qlanq, dkelley, Haroldo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    When I decided I needed something new and Class D, I went with Traynor, too. I wanted something made in North America—not that things are necessarily made poorly elsewhere, but I’m in North America and it’s nice to not ship every little thing halfway around the world—which pretty much meant Mesa, GK, or Traynor. I imagine I would have done well with any of them (the Subway series seems excellent in my limited experience with them, and I might end up with one yet), but I had never tried a Traynor and found myself in a position to take a chance on the SB112 combo, so I did. It sounds like you’re as happy with yours as I am, eh? Enjoy!

4. I pulled the trigger on the Traynor SB112 combo last month. Very happy with it so far.

The next thing on my shopping list is the SB500H head.

5. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I got one of those, too :roflmao: It sounds very different from the combo through my old Peavey cabs, but not in a bad way.

6. Funny you should mention Peavey. I got the SB112 to replace my Peavey Max 112 combo. :D

7. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Seems like Traynor’s still doing in Canada what Peavey used to do in the USA, so it’s a logical move.

ruju, butterfingers1, dkelley and 3 others like this.
  8. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Thank you. He's the best old dog one could ask for, love that little guy!

dkelley likes this.
  9. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Yeah, eh? Plenty of good stuff made in lots of places but it is really nice to be buying so close to home it's almost local! Much better in many ways then shipping it across the planet!

I would love to try out an SB combo, I just didn't today because I had already decided to just go for a head. One day though! 200 watts, 12", and 25lbs is very appealing even if it is covered in rat fur!

10. I have a traynor small block 500, I think. Sounds like wet cardboard.

BBassBassington likes this.
  11. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Combo or head?

I once had a Traynor guitar combo amp that my Step Dad got me for $20 at a garage sale. It was sitting in their attic and they had no clue if it worked beyond powering on. It did mostly work but it totally sounded like wet cardboard.

12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I have an SB200H that has mostly just lived in my car the last five years ( emergency spare ). Once In A While it gets to come out and play. Awesome! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ruju, butterfingers1, tindrum and 2 others like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Love it! Enjoy.
    Good dog, too.

14. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I couldn’t believe I was buying a rat fur combo in 2020, but there I was, and I’m not angry about it :laugh:

15. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Dang, sounds like you really like that amp. Good stuff!:thumbsup:

butterfingers1 likes this.
  16. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I don’t want to overstate it, but it’s easy on the ears, back, and wallet, and (not joking) gets along well with my YYZ and Broughton HPF/LPF :thumbsup: I’ve got a Mesa tube rig if I want to impress people and a Peavey lead sled if I’m feeling nostalgic but that wee Traynor gets a lot of play time.

17. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    That's a good way to roll!

There's a part of me that wants to use an 810 as an at home cab. Never gotta move it, just give it a bit of volume and stand in front of the glory! lol

But it is nice to play outside of the one room. I certainly wouldn't be doing that with an old led sled. I haven't missed mine one bit but then again it was Peavey gear.;) lol

Riff Ranger likes this.
  18. Rumblin

Rumblin

Feb 17, 2019
    Nova Scotia
    I got the SB500 HD as a back up for my Rumble 800HD. Ended up being my main amp. I run it thru a 210 and 115 I built myself (attempt to build 31hz resonant cabs via T/S parameters). I get lots of compliments on tone and I barely know how to EQ.

19. I'm a huge Traynor fan as well, though i do have a few aguilar products... great stuff and I love to support Canadian made.
    I have a Traynor TC810 in my living room. I understand your desire.

edit: current Traynor bits - tc810, tc112×2, bloc115b, sb115, sb500h

20. oh, @BBassBassington our pbasses match, though yours is a pj four and mine's a p five, i love the black/tort/maple

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021