1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD: Carvin BX700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheSeagoats, Aug 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I've been waiting for this day ever since they first released this amp. I originally wanted the BX500 but the lack of pre/post option on the direct out was a major deal breaker for me. It's taken me so long to get this one because I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, my head at the time was "good enough." But then they had a 20% off sale so I decided it was time. I'm so mad at myself for not ordering one sooner. Even set flat this thing sounds a million times better than my old head. And it weighs a tenth of what the old one did. Highly recommend.

13936844_10157296907520077_1271614523_n.jpg

Bredian, pcake, seang15 and 9 others like this.
  2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Shes a real beauty! I was going to get the same but talked myself into the 1600 so I could biamp it.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Right on! I have a BX1500 and wish I had gotten mine earlier! BX700 is on the list :)

-Benny

seang15 and BadExample like this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hey now, that's a great idea. No reason not to get both! :D

Saetia likes this.
  5. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Love Carvin congrats

6. OP, enjoy your new “toy.” :D

Cirk and BadExample like this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    @TheSeagoats what kind of cab have you played it through by now?

8. Get the footswitch, so you can turn the graphic EQ on and off.
    It can act like a channel switch to give you two very different sounds on the fly.

seang15 likes this.
  9. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I play it through the Carvin BRX 10.2. I had bought it last October thinking it would help with an underpowering issue I was having with my old head (4ohm head, 8 ohm cab) and it did somewhat, but then I got my current main bass and it was so hot that it clipped the input on the amp. After putting up with that for a bit I ended up with the perfect excuse to buy a shiny new head, the BX700
    I got one :) They were running a promotion where they were free with purchase of an amp. I definitely hit a perfect storm of deals.

seang15 and Saetia like this.
  10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I didn't get the footswitch with my BX1500 since I bought it used (here on TB) but it came in a Gator GRB-2u rack bag and I only paid $360 shipped. Definitely going to pick up a footswitch eventually. This was my first Carvin amp and I would say if I had to replace it I wouldn't hesitate to buy new. Even at full Carvin price they are totally worth it.

At first I was so intimidated by all of the knobs and switches... tone options galore, the sweepable mid freqs are stellar options. The compressor isn't huge or squashy, very mild and unified (not a huge compression fan but find I enjoy the mild nature of the bx's). Drive knob is also very subdued but can add a bit of grit to a more full grind when the active switch off while using an active bass. I tend to leave the contour flat though, no need to scoop mids for me, I can do that on the fly from the bass anyway. One thing I really enjoy and what makes me want the foot switch is the ability to completely change the tone, to just boosting relative freqs to step up or out front. As mentioned you can use it as a 2nd channel or set it to work with OD if your clean isn't OD compatible.

Really is a versitile beast.

Most of the time I honestly adjust the EQ to flat, boost some low mids and a slightly cut the upper most zing, like... I really enjoy how clean this head can sound but still get fat, old school and even grindy. The power section is also super clean IMO.

I dove right in on my BX and am glad, it was a learning curve coming from my GK's to the BX especially since I was so HOT to try my new bass at the time that I learned the amp while learning a new bass instead of old faithful. Lets just say between my Bongo 4HH and the BX there are waaaaay toooo maaaany tone options right there.

I'll never get rid of my GK's (maybe the 1001rbii but never the 700rbii, it's my all time favorite amp ever) but the BX is going to be the new go to no matter what cab combo I'll use. The BX is now a lifer for me.

Anyone have experience with the smaller BX like the 250? Was thinking of grabbing a 112 or 110 cab and the BX250 for a small practice set up instead of the Ashdown Classic Neo 408 I'm currently using for a home practice cab. The 408 is a fine cab but needs a lot of clean headroom (the bx1500 provides it 900 watts rms bridged @ 8 ohms) and well, I'd like to keep the BX1500 at practice space instead of the to and fro. Probably sell the 408.

Whoa, got long winded there.

Anyway, can I say I love the BX amps anymore?

-Benny

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    seang15, Cirk and Bassist4Eris like this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe check the combo club? Same amp in those, and they love them. @1stnamebassist gigs his combo.

Where is the BX club :( Maybe it's time we speak up on our awesome amps. All I've seen is a "B" amp club and the combo club. Or maybe just a Carvin club?

Carvinites, come out of the closet and unite! :D

Cirk and Saetia like this.
  12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Good looking out, didn't even think about that!!!! Definitely going to give a gander.

I'll take a number for the BX club if it happens!

-Benny

BadExample likes this.
  13. Barryd

Barryd Guest

Aug 4, 2016
    Wonder how that BX70o would sound powering my Ampeg 8x10?

14. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    Have you switched out the preamp tube in your head? If so, what did you put in it?

15. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin

I have yet to do so, and am greatly interested as to what difference can be had by swapping different tubes. I would definitely like to hear what other BX owners have done with the pre amp tube and their results.

-Benny

16. I got a B1000, and it is awsome. I would put it up against any of the new crop of class D amps. And it was on sale for $320 last January. It's a great gigging amp. Great tone, 2 ohm stable, and big power.

BadExample likes this.
  17. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Wow! What a bargain! You did good my bassy brother!

18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hey Benny, I tried a good handful. The Carvin tube with no label sounds about the same as the SS channel, but the JJ is way better. Then I tried 5 or 6 or 8 NOS/OEMs I scammed at work, and they varied from about the same as the JJ to way better to my ears. I have about 4 to 8 hours to go on a cab I'm building and once finished, I'd be glad to try and record some audio files to post if interested.
    Suggestions on pre-amp settings would be welcome. I also have to find my stroboscope I packed up ten years ago, so I can use its good mic. That's the hard part! If it's in the attic, I'm not going up there until fall. Too dambid hot!

I'm up for starting a Carvin BX or a Carvin amp club if there is interest. That would be the perfect place for tube test files and amp settings that work well for a certain cab and tone goal. I can't see it being a big deal to "run," but if I am tracking and issuing numbers, I need at least one person to be available as a backup. I can get pretty OCD sometimes, and as much as I love music, I could suddenly drop out for a while and be off in another direction. Of course I wouldn't just disappear and would pass on the file with usernames and numbers. IMO, we should have about ten people interested up front for it to worthwhile, and need to check in with TB staff or search for rules on clubs. Anyone interested, post up now or forever hold you peace! BTW: I can track numbers, but anyone else could do it if someone wants to be "leader."

Saetia likes this.
  19. reno88

reno88

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    carvin user here. I had a bx500, but I sold it because I wasn't using it. I currently use a bx1500, and I like it a lot (though I do have a roving eye...). I replaced the stock preamp tube with a mullard, and I think it made a significant difference. I use each channel to power a separate cab - a 410 and a 210. insane power/volume and great tone capabilities (though I do use a bddi in front of it). takes pedals well, too. my only concern is reliability. I gig quite a lot, but so far there have been no issues. fingers crossed.
    enjoy your amp!

Saetia likes this.
  20. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    I have a BX500 and after a tube rolling session, settled on a JJ 12au7. Not a huge difference but I did prefer that one over the rest.

BadExample likes this.