NAD disappointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dragonrob1952, Jun 15, 2021.

1. dragonrob1952

dragonrob1952 Supporting Member

May 26, 2021
    I recently took up the bass again and had bought a Rumble 40 which just wasn't doing it for me so I decided to look around. GC had been closing out the Ampeg BA line and I had seen the BA210v2 marked down to $369.99 on their website. By the time I decided to go for it, it was no longer listed so I figured they sold out. But then a couple days later it was back so I jumped on it.
    This was not listed as 'used' or 'open box' and it was not listed at a specific store so I had no reason to believe it wasn't a brand new one that would be shipped from a warehouse.
    Well, this is what showed up so it obviously wasn't a new one but seriously, can you believe the packing job!?!? An oversize flimsy box with the amp wrapped in some bubble wrap and some wadded paper and cardboard chunks thrown in for 'padding'.

Anyway, I took it out and it did have a few minor scuffs that I figured I could live with so I took it down to the man cave and plugged it in. The 'Ampeg' logo lit up and it made a little farting noise and I got absolutely nothing out of it...not even a thump or static, just dead silence. Called customer service and the guy was very nonchalant and said, well it was shipped from a store (Norwood, MA was the shipping point but not sure which store) so it was probably a display unit and I guess you're just going to have to return it to your nearest GC and find something else because I'm not showing any of these in stock. He tried to tell me that if it was a display they wouldn't necessarily have to list it as open box or something to that effect. At that point I was so pissed I wasn't listening clearly. Anyway I did immediately get in the car and return it but the biggest bass combo they had in store was a Rumble 100, which BTW was the only one they had with a speaker larger than 10".
    Anyway, I had just mailed back the Rumble 40 I had to Amazon that morning in anticipation of this arriving so now I am amp-less and I likely won't be doing business with GC in the near future. They don't have crap for inventory anyway, even online.
    P1030603.JPG

P1030607.JPG

SirMjac28, jmlee, strigidae and 5 others like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That's really a sorry new amp day. Box is destroyed. Good luck. Obviously that's a bad start. But GC has a good return policy and you'll be taken care of despite the kid who answered your phone call. Hang in there.

3. dragonrob1952

May 26, 2021
    Thanks for the moral support. I just applied for this card (3rd one in the last 15 yrs) and that was my first purchase. I also bought a used Squier Precision Bass Special on the 10th which was listed as 'Great' condition. They printed a shipping label immediately but 5 days later it hasn't actually been shipped yet. I can't wait to see that outcome :^ /

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That's a seriously pathetic packing job. Hoping the bass is packed better!

yodedude2, jeff7bass, yonkrz and 2 others like this.
  5. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Try sweetwater. All of my past dealings with GC has been good, returns are super easy.

6. yonkrz

yonkrz Guest

Oct 19, 2013
    Not trying to bash GC, but i wouldn't have even opened it.Thats just bad business and i don't believe the shipper totaled it that bad.

7. dragonrob1952

May 26, 2021
    Yes, the box was super flimsy and basically held together with scotch tape. No way the shipper could be held at fault. I just find it hard to believe that a company who ships as much stuff as GC could possibly be this shoddy.

fhm555, EatS1stBassist and yonkrz like this.
  8. boing

boing Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    I’d almost say it was packed by someone with a grudge against their employer.

9. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Oy vey. That’s a horrendous looking packing job. :sour:

Sorry for your disappointment.

dragonrob1952 likes this.
  10. Whoever packed that should be forced to do 3 years penance at the USPS. Packing the same box over and over again.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    @dragonrob1952

I have bought quite a bit of stuff of GC used. The shipping has always been stupid cheap, but it's been a few years and things may have changed, since GC declared bankruptcy last year.

One of the amps I bought was a 1987 "skunk" Ampeg SVT that appeared near mint in the listing. The packing was exactly like yours. The amp was wrapped in bubble wrap and put in an oversize box. They used the bubble wrap with the bigger bubbles, which tend to be more fragile. The box looked okay when I go it, but the amp was face down and all of the bubbles were popped. Not a surprise since the amp weighs about 90lbs.

Luckily, the only damage was the mid control was snapped off. The local GC tried to talk me into returning the amp, but I gave them a hard time and they repaired it on their dime. I had more drama with that amp, because a few weeks later one of the main filter caps shorted, but that was not due to the packing. I took care of the cap job myself as I wanted to keep the amp, and I figured the local GC would force the return instead of doing more repairs.

I believe GCs current policy is you pay for shipping on returns, even if the amp is faulty or damaged. AFAIK this is a change from just a few years ago. Perhaps you will get lucky since the packing was obviously substandard.

I have also received items that were packed really well. I bought a Marshall 1960BX cab and it was packed in an oversized box and then placed on a pallet. An 18-wheeler pulled up to my drive way and unloaded. I was able to break down the pallet fast enough, so they trucker agreed to take it with him.

So from my perspective there are some pretty good bargains to be had, but there is also more risk buying from GC now. Before making a purchase evaluate the risk.

12. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Here is the box I received from GC the other day, I snapped a pic just incase I needed to return it. Luckily the tube amp ended up being fine. Like everyone else stated, they have a great return policy.

661DCE77-2DDA-41FA-ACB4-51C12DCE2F2D.jpeg
    277EB4A8-0457-41B5-A2E4-86016272A51A.jpeg

13. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Must be a store to store proposition. I have never ( and most recently ) had to pay for shipping on a damaged or non-working amp.

14. dragonrob1952

May 26, 2021
    The guy at customer service said my only options were to return it to a store or take it to UPS and have them pack it and send it back. The impression I got was that they would not pay for that. For UPS to pack and ship that from west to east coast would probably cost around $150 I bet. They didn't charge me any shipping (it was $369.99 with free shipping), which verifies the fact, IMO, that it was listed as a new, in-warehouse item. If you order used from a store there is a shipping charge, albeit rather small. I believe that Squier I have on order was only $26 for shipping.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Last time I checked it was national policy written on their website. Some TB members have recently been burned by this. However, I believe local stores do have some discretion. The problem may be crossed funding streams. Not sure on the specifics, but since it's national policy, if a local store refunds the shipping it may come out of their budget, rather than the store where the item originated.

Here's the blurb from the website:
    If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it in its original condition within the return period and we’ll give you a full refund of the purchase price, excluding shipping and handling charges.

Ref: Return Policy | Guitar Center
    I did not go through the entire website, but I did not see an exclusion that applies if gear is damage in transit, or otherwise not as described.

jthisdell and twinfallsbass like this.
  16. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Bummer. Whenever I do d GC purchase, I always have it shipped to the store so I can test it before bringing it home - I take any handling issues out of my scope. I'd have just been sick if that showed up at my house like that.

17. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Yet another Ampeg/Guitar Center failure... I feel for anyone that gets something like this, but this is 100% on point with how guitar center does business. How knows if the amp even worked before shipping. And yet folks keep on buying their stuff.

18. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Sorry to hear that OP.

I'm not one who goes around bashing stores like GC or MF as I have purchased there many times with no issues whatsoever. However just last year I purchased a Squier Contemporary Active Jazz bass in Satin White from MF for the Backstage Pass Points.

I've never owned a Squier nor have I ever wanted one, but that white with the black pick guard looked stunning to me. Anyway what MF sent was a a satin black bass that was dirty and beat to hell up. Not only was it the wrong bass, it was also used big time. It seriously looked like it had spent some time in the back of a dirty pickup with no bag or case. :rollno:

The CS girl I spoke with told me she was sorry and that they would be sending me out another bass that same afternoon and to expect a tracking number. 3 Days later with no tracking number I contacted MF again and was told they were out of stock and didn't know when they would get anymore. :mad:

So I then had to wait about 7 days to be refunded and ordered the Satin White Squier from Sweetwater where they took photos of it and sent them to me via email. I have since read similar stories here on GC and MF and it will probably be a very long time before I purchase from them again, if ever.

DrMole and EatS1stBassist like this.
  19. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i bought a bass years ago from reverb. when i got it the box had big boot prints up and down it like it was sitting on the floor of the ups truck and the guy just walked up and down it all day.:rollno:

20. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I’ve lost count how many used guitars, basses, pedals and amps I’ve bought from GC on their used site. I’ve been lucky I suppose as every one of them was packed very well. In fact I received a used GK 400RB from GC today and it has zero issues.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021