1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD: Eden WT300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lia_G, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Took this in trade. I know Eden isn't the "flavor of the day" anymore, but it's good stuff. At least the older ones, and maybe the current stuff. Years ago I was an Eden endorser, and it's good to be back in the family. This head sounds really good. Before I used the WT330 and WT390, but never one of the models with a tube and the semi-para eq section. Liking this one so far. The WT300 is the amp that really made Eden's name, imho, and I've always wanted one. My gigs don't require huge volume, so 300 watts into 4 ohms is plenty for my needs. And the tone is great.

I know, no pics, no amp. It's too late for pics. I'll post some tomorrow. Just got back from a road trip to Evansville, IN to see my friend JT Oglesby's band, and can't sleep, so thought I'd post. If you ever get the chance to see JT, do it. He's a former national champion thumbpicker, and an amazing musician.

Anyway, yeah, so WT300 = good. ;)

Cheers,
    Liam

2. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Congrats on the WT300 Liam. I have one myself that I bought new I think in '96 or so. I have a few other amps (Carvin BX500, BX1200, GK MB200, and Ampeg V4) but the Eden is a keeper. Think I'll be buried with that little guy. It seems that the WT400 gets a lot of praise but the '300 seems to be left behind. Sure the 400 has a bit more power and the compressor is defeatable, but the 300 sounds wonderful. I originally used it with a D210XLT but since I've been building cabs of late the XLT doesn't get much use any more. Might go up on the block soon.

Here's mine sitting on my latest build: 2x10 with Deltalite II 2510's and a pair of Parts Express horn tweeters vertically melded (got the idea from BFM melded piezo arrays), switchable. Much more transparent than the XLT if not as ballsy. The lighting makes it all look more yellow than it really is (cellphone pic).

wt300_a_zps74ae523b.

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Nice!

Liam

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think the Eden heads are the warmest heads around congrats.

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks. Played another session with it today and loved it.

Out at a gig tonight. Will still try to get a pic.

Liam

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Forgot to post this pic ... taken a week ago Friday night in Augusta GA.

10895259064_a8a756ab85_z.
    CarvinPB5_EdenWT300_112AGs_at_Stillwater by wwgtsc, on Flickr

Played a gig with it again tonight, same exact rig as in the pic above, here in town, and dialed in this incredible punchy tone. Well, dialed in isn't the right term, as it's basically almost "everything at noon" lol. Just a one-click bump in the mids, and things have never sounded better. I honestly can't remember ever having a better tone. The tight lows and nice mids of the Carvin 112AGs just fit so perfectly with this head and the Carvin PB5 fretless. Sits perfectly in the mix. Still want to investigate a quieter fan, as this one is jet engine loud, but it's not a problem at gig volumes.

Happy!

Liam

7. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    I never found a better head than the WT300.Still with me after 15 years !
    (...And I've tried a bunch of amps).

8. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I really liked my WT400. I just switched to other gear because I'd been playing Eden for so long I wanted a different flavor. I'm sure I'll probably own another one at some point. I'd like to try the WT405.

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I really loved my WT330 and WT390 back when I was an endorser. They're nearly identical to the 405, except it has a bit more power. Loved the simple eq, and the tone was so warm with that golden chip or whatever it's called.

Liam

10. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    It's exactly the same head, just different power. I've heard the compressor is really nice too. But I never really use compression.

11. I have at least 7 different heads right now and last night I used my trusty WT-400 on my gig. Compared to the other lighter alternatives I have that WT-400 is still my favorite for tone and power. Runs a 410 beautifully. Bergantino AE410 last night!!

It's just a bit big to fit in my gig bag and at 15 Lbs its a tank to haule around.:bag:

We're so spoiled today with our little 800 watt amps! I mostly use a WTX500 but there's no denying it, that WT-400 is killer.

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Yeah, I love this WT300 already. Except for the jet engine fan, which I have some ideas on. I've owned Eden, Genz Benz (was an endorser for both of those), Acoustic Image, EA, Ampeg, Ashdown, GK, Carvin, Peavey and Fender amps, and this thing is by far my favorite. I'm curious about the Mesa Walkabout though, I must admit.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    And I don't have to carry around a paperweight to keep it from flying away. :D

14. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I played through a friend's Walkabout combo at a jam / birthday party a while back. It was nice. It really warmed up my jazz bass which is really bright. But I thought it really lacked in volume. I was really pushing it to the limit. I'd like to hear it with a bigger cabinet, maybe a 2x12.