1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD.... Fender!?! Da he!!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have been playing for 35 years, the last time I bought a new Fender bass amp on purpose was oh about 1989.... a Fender BXR head and cab.... biggest POS I have ever owned. I have felt that Fender really didn't want to make bass amps for the past 30 years given their mostly pathetic offerings. Never took them seriously again. I have been hearing "rumblings" over the past few years and I figured folks were just getting desperate on TB to talk about something new. But low and behold I have done my research and opted to order a new Bassman 500 head and it will be delivered today. If I am as pleased with this purchase as I suspect I might.... I can see a new Fender Bassman pro 15 cab in my near future....

Report to follow.

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I'm fighting the gas to get the Bassman 800.

armybass likes this.
  3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    What really spurred me on is my current love affair with the AVRI basses. I have recently used them to define my sound in my current gigs and the Bassman series seems like the perfect combination for the AVRI's for the sound I am going for. Old school tone with modern clarity and bottom end.

Stumbo likes this.
  4. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Same reason I was considering them. My 2013 American Standard Jazz bass is the best playing and sounding bass I have "ever" had. Let me know how you like that bassman 500. Right now I'm all wrapped up in an awesome GK rig that I'm very happy with but I still feel a pulling sensation to the Fender. That Bassman 800 looks soooo sweat.

armybass likes this.
  5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Agreed, the American Standards are fantastic and I was really into them too. They have definitely upped their game in the US lines for bass players. Not that the American Standard was ever bad.... I always thought it was the best bass for the money.

6. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Best da*n bass on the planet for me. I start touring in January and I gotta pickup a backup head for my GK MB800. I was just going to get a second MB800 (probably still will) as my backup. I'm just afraid I'll get the Bassman and like it so much I'll have to get 2.

armybass likes this.
  7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I am using the MB800 too... love it. I got a MB 200 to throw in my gig bag as a backup. I have toyed with the idea of selling the MB 800 but I get cold feet lol. I love that amp.

joel406 likes this.
  8. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Me to. Combined with my 410s the tone is to die for.

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I have been running mine with a Berg CN212 and an Aguilar DB210 and it is just pure punch, guts and clarity....

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Hah - here's another die-hard GK user (MBF500, MB500 back-up) who gasses over that Bassman 500. It's just so sexy... :).

armybass likes this.
  11. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I'll probably end up with the Mb800 as my backup. If a backup is needed than I won't have a problem maintaining my tone. But oh my the gas I have for that Bassman 800. I just can't make myself take the plunge into tubes.

12. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    What was it that you didn't enjoy about the BXR? Little too flat?

I've still got mine, and I'm fighting the urge to unload it for more light, gig-friendly gear, but the sound (with active pups) does me pretty well.

That aside, congrats on the Bassman. Nothing but good things to be said.

13. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    I have had the Bassman 500 with the Bassman pro neo 115 cab for a year and a half now and have nothing but good things to say about them. The blendable overdrive, along with the tube preamp, gives me anything from a slightly warm tone to a very gnarly growl. And, for a bonus, that big, vintage looking head is only about 16 lb.s to carry! Wishing you all the best with yours.