1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD - Finally went the vintage route

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Dec 2, 2020.

1. upload_2020-12-2_8-58-25.jpeg After 5 years of playing my SVT rig I decided to change things up and go with this. Many of my favourite bands are playing 370s these days so I have been wanting one for about 2 years now.
    They never pop up for sale here in Canada but since the pandemic there has been a bunch. Finally found the right price.

My guitarist picked up this 215 in the summer to pair with with his acoustic 150 but just bought a house and doesn’t have the room so got it for dirt cheap.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    I notice it has 2 inputs, and also two EQ sections (Bass/Mid/Treble and the 5-band). How does this head route the 2 signals? I love the retro look of the old Acoustics.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. tbh I have no idea haha. I have noticed that channel 1 has a bit more output than channel 2 but not by much. Overall channel 1 feels a bit rounder. From what I can tell both eq's effect the tone. I am thinking the 5 band is just for a little finer adjustment.
    I have been loving the old solid state tone of late and I look forward to putting it through it's paces tonight at it's first rehearsal.

skycruiser likes this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    IIRC the top input has about 6 dB more gain than the lower one. Think of it as pad switch that uses separate input jacks rather than an actual switch. The original design intent was to use the rotary tone controls to get your basic voicing and then you would fine tune and shape that with the graphic EQ. The rotary tone controls were meant to be neutral/"have no impact on the tone" when at noon.

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I used that exact rig for 6 years during the 80's.
    Had the 450 head before that but preferred the 370.

nbsipics and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Wow thanks for the info, great to know

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. I’ve actually heard that the 450s have less power. Which doesn’t make sense to me haha

8. For many years I had the Acoustic 370 head with 2 each matching Acoustic 371 18” folded horn cabinets as my main rig. Also used it with a single Ampeg SVT 8-10 cabinet or just one of the 371s for smaller gigs. Lot’s of power and versatility to add most any other cabinet out there; it won’t break a sweat and is very rugged and reliable. Mine even came with the original factory slip cover.
    When I got older and grew tired of lugging SVT’s and the twin 371 cabinets around, I got an Acoustic B320 head on top of a Peavy 115 JBL and an SVT 210 pro underneath. Still heavy by today’s standards but much easier to transport. I can get the full bass sound I need and use it as an acoustic or electric guitar amp on the rare occasion when my Ampeg B15NL and Karlson coupler extension cabinet aren’t enough.

seve545 and Maxfenderbass like this.
  9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Here's where everyone gets stupid about these amps.
    They don't make that much power. You're not going to get loud, full range and clean.
    205 Watts RMS at 3.2 Ohms at 5% distortion. -6dB at 50 Hz.
    They have a unique sound and pair well with an old Peavey 2x15 that was reasonably efficient but probably could not take much more than 200 watts thermal power.
    Technical Specifications - Acoustic 370 Instruction Manual [Page 4] | ManualsLib

The 450 was the guitar model and is 170 Watts at 2 or 4 Ohms.
    I got a deal on that first. Pretty sure Frank Zappa used these for a tour or two.
    As I recall, it is amazing how few components are inside. Both of mine were super reliable.

10. You’ll love it!
    ECED8E06-60B6-4189-B733-985032BC0E33.jpeg

11. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Just noticed the frequencies of the eq are for fine-tuning the low and low-mids specifically for bass guitar. I like this.

12. My SVT-VR broke up quicker than this thing so it does have the headroom to play grunge/doom etc. For sure loud enough for any band practice or unmic’d gig

Jim C and StereoPlayer like this.
  13. I read somewhere that if you plug a dummy plug in the other input, it opens the head up to a fuller sound. Like it needs that!
    I haven’t done it yet. Just a plug without a cable. It won’t hurt anything.

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Ahem. For their time they were plenty powerful. I realize nowadays that 300 watts "isn't enough", but the loudest band I ever played in (I got tinnitus, so we were more than loud enough) I managed to keep up just fine with two guitars with a Yamaha B100 head - a whopping 90 watts of power. I never lacked for power - with a decent couple of efficient 115 cabinets, it worked very well.

SJan3 and Al Kraft like this.
  15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I played a 370 head through various cabinets for a few years. The one I had was covered with some kind of old canvas type cloth that had a floral pattern. Me and my band mates called it “grandma’s couch”.

I was surprised at how many other musicians thought it was a tube amp. I guess the loose distortion kinda sounded like some tube amps.

It always blew me away they were built to handle a 1.6 ohm load. I played mine at 2 ohms a LOT with no issues at all other than a little heat. I wish I had mine back, but I traded it for a Fender Studio Bass amp that I don’t want to let get away so I guess I made my choice....

16. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It's the 370 model name that makes people think they had power.
    Many cabinets in that era were also 8 Ohms.
    I'm not knocking them as I used it for years but merely pointing out the facts.
    And down 6 dB at 50Hz made them gentle on standard cabinets and not a low end monster.
    I must have played 150 gigs with mine so I feel like I know my business on this.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nice. I had one of those Peavey 2X15 cabs for centuries. Cool head. Enjoy.

BrentSimons and Maxfenderbass like this.
  18. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure where the name came from, but that thing could produce close to 370 watts at 1.6 Ohms if you were willing to tolerate upwards of 10% distortion. At the 8 or 4 Ohm level with lower distortion where most folks would likely run it the power output was considerably more modest than that upper 300's number.

19. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I saw an Acoustic 125 combo in a store today for $225. It looked like a 1-15”.
    I think the tag said it was 100 watts. Thought it looked really cool, and it was on wheels too,which helped.
    For a combo it was pretty huge.
    The same store had a 370 head and the big 215 cab.

20. Post band practice report:
    Everyone in my band preferred the sound of this rig over my ampeg rig. Said it worked better with ourmix.
    It kept up with a mig 50+orange 412 and a hiwatt dr103+emperor 412 just fine. Both using muff and distortion. Never even had to get the volume past 2 and a bit.

Rezdog and skycruiser like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021