1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD...Finally

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turtle71, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    OK, so my hunt for a new rig came to a conclusion today!!

I knew I wanted a GK rig, based almost exclusively on recommendations from my fellow TB’ers, but I couldn’t find anything local to demo…

So finally this morning I called friend of mine (who also plays bass) from Full Compass, to ask his opinion, and to see if he’d ever tried one. Well low and behold, Full Compass is a GK dealer, and had quite a bit in stock!

I don’t think my feet hit the ground 3 times as I flew to the car.

I played through this rig, and I was floored…sounded just sweet. I initially had been wanting two Neo 212-II cabs and a MB800, but they had this Neo 412 on clearance (still new) and the price was just too good to not consider.

Though I had wanted the MB800 initially, I’m glad I tried the 1001RB-II because it was just what the doctor ordered, and seemed to compliment this cabinet wonderfully.

Here they are!
    rig1_zps5c7a5945.

After getting it home, and really airing it out (my neighbors REALLY hate me now), I have 2 observations.

-This amp & cab faithfully reproduce my “naked” bass tone quite nicely, even with the volume up quite a bit, no farting, no rattling and no real unwanted noise, just clean glorious BASS!! :bassist:

-You REALLY have to watch your volume on this thing, or it will friggen knock your head off (in a good way). :D I didn't even have the master at "12 o'clock" and it was WICKED LOUD, I can't wait to try it out in a rehearsal/live setting, my guitar players are just going to love me now...

Now, just a couple questions.

This amp has a cooling fan on top, it didn’t kick on during my session at home, but it was only about 10mins, and only at moderate volume. I assume this fan engages on a “as needed” basis, and I simply didn’t work the amp hard enough to require the fan to cool it down. Or is the fan suppose to run all the time?

I’d like to get a rack case for this amp, but should I get a 4-space case and mount it in the center position with a space above and below for cooling. Or would a standard 2-space case allow for enough cooling potential for that fan to be effective. Suggestions Please.

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats on the new gear!
    I have no experience with GK but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly and can answer your questions. :D

3. Wow congrats! That is a killer of a cab and the amp is a gem also. Your guitarist don't stand a chance :D Be careful indoors though, after a got mine the guitarist decided on a volume war. It was in the Drummer's air conditioned garage and I broke all the AC vent fuses. Cost the guitarist and myself $250.00

The fan only comes on when needed, it sucks in from the top and blows out the front. So long as you have 3/4" of space above the top you will be fine. 1/2" will work but 3/4" is recommended.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    good-lookin rig, bud. should serve you quite well, congrats on displaying the patience to hold out for a good one!
    enjoy :bassist:

5. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Well, the cash aside...that HAD to have been fun..:D

Good info thanks!! I'll be sure to check internal space before I purchase a case for it.

6. I would not expect to really hear the fan BTW. I only heard the fan on my Fusion 550 once. I was breaking in my new NEO212 II and my son wanted to break in his new car sub. While I was pushing them pretty well I was surprised and asked if he had gotten the 8 ohm. Nope I was pushing a 2.667 ohm load (8 ohm and 4 ohm) and the amp is only rated down to 4 ohms. The Fusion 550 uses the same power amp board IIRC, just de-rated to 500 watts at 4 ohms.

7. Nothing more fun than having a full stack 100 watt Marshall owner say damn I give! :D

8. Turtle71

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Now that, I'd like to hear! :bassist:

Both my guitar players run 1/2 stacks, one is Mesa Triple Rectifier w/matching cab, and the other is your usual Marshall stack. Both have exceptional tone (just really f****ng LOUD), it's going to be nice to finally be able to keep up. :p

9. Everyone's eyesight was blurry and the slam was not the drummer's wife slamming a door, After two months of the AC not working well at all, a tech found the "fuses" (they are supposed to melt in a fire situation) had fractured. I was in hot water with the Drummer's wife for longer than I care to be :eek: I had to replace some picture frame glass in their house as well. :bawl:

10. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    This story never gets old B! :bassist:

Congrats on the killer rig!