NAD: Gallien-Krueger MB112-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I’m not normally one to do the whole “New (insert gear) Day” thing, but this GK amp is blowing my mind and I feel compelled to share.

Unboxing: It was shipped in a very well-padded, heavy duty box from the factory. Upon pulling the amp out of the box, there were no signs of any marks, scratches, etc.

Test #1, P-bass: With a flat EQ and the bass’s knobs cranked, I got a perfectly usable, if not aggressive, tone. Boy was this thing able to get loud! I don’t just mean loud highs and mids; this thing can kick out the lows at high volume without breaking a sweat. I played with a loud drummer and we were both easily able to hear the amp with it sitting on the floor aimed at our shins!

Test #2, active Warwick: It was time to try to get a modern tone out of it. Without a tweeter, I was skeptical of how hi-fi it could sound. I engaged the contour button and away we went. It has crystal clear highs and tight, punchy lows. This was impressive.

Test #3, Double (upright): This was the main reason I bought this amp. I wanted a good amp for doubling that could also do EB from time to time. Well, it nailed it! The 1meg ohm input allowed me to plug my dual-piezo DB right in without a preamp. It was so natural sounding. No color. No boom. No feedback. No shrill treble. Just the actual sound of my bass at high volume. If this amp had a phase switch and HPF, then I probably wouldn’t even bother using my pre for gigs.

Test #4, ABG: I have a cheap ABG with onboard preamp. The thing has never sounded good amplified. However, this GK brought out the best in it. Again, it sounded uncolored, but punchy and responsive. It reproduced the highs much better than any other amp I’ve used for ABG.

Final thoughts: I shouldn’t have waited this long to buy one of these. This is the perfect amp for someone needing a go-to for small and medium gigs where versatility and mobility are high priorities.

F402FDE5-B25C-4281-A272-5C9497E1B494.jpeg

2. congrats! I have this amp, and the matching MBP112 powered extension cab. AWESOME combo - I think it's in a class by itself.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    How do you like the MBP112 with the MB112? I have a NEO 412 for the big shows, but I'm starting to wonder if I can ditch that cab and just pick up a MBP112. Do you believe the combo can serve a large-ish gig?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    jeff7bass likes this.
  4. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Richlands, NC
    GK all day...every day.
    Rock on.

nolezmaj and scuzzy like this.
  5. I've played outdoor shows with the combo - at that point, with a good PA it's doing more stage monitor duty than anything really. I don't play really big stages - but up to 400-500 people maybe in that neighborhood? I've never been lacking for volume!

jeff7bass and Chris Y like this.
  6. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man-

Great little amp that gets the job done, enjoy!!!

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Warpeg :)

Happy New (inset gear) Day! :D

Thx for sharing! :thumbsup:

Wise(b)ass

8. gepettus

gepettus

Sep 17, 2011
    Argentina
    Lovely amp! Congratz

I used to play with a Gk MB212. Tons of power, clean sound, agresive with the boost, versatile.

#gkallday

9. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have one of these for my portable needs. It really is a great piece of equipment. Glad you’re enjoying it too!

10. Just nabbed one on ebay for $200 (plus $40 for shipping). Can't wait!

11. Chris Y

Chris Y

Feb 2, 2019
    Darwin NT
    New MBP112 showed up today.
    Just noticed the porting is different to my MB112 ?
    New cab has two port holes while the the MB112 has horizontal port on bottom of cab. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet as still waiting on xlr cable so can't tell if they sound different.
    I got the MB112 new about 2 months ago, what porting is in your cabs?

12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    The MB112 is a great combo for sure, i love mine and its perfect for rehearsals, lighter gigs and such. Also, it's a lot more mid forward than its bigger brother the MB212.

13. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Hey Warpeg. Anyone this articulate about their new combo amp deserves and needs to be in a club where he or she will be appreciated. Come find us at...get ready...the Combo Club! Hobnob with fellow combo enthusiasts and pick up an idea or two from GK owners like yourself. It’s easy, it’s free, and best of all, it’s combos!

Warpeg likes this.