1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD - genz benz 6.2 - an amp to grow with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reddog, Jul 17, 2017.

1. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Howdy -

I have been plunking along with a Fender Bassman 60 combo (wedge - monitor style).
    I got it for free, but the amp part needs a jiggle every week to get it working. Puppy be heavy, too. As it has been just me and my female friend playing R&B in my living room, it hasn't been an issue.

I would, though, like to have something portable when I team up with others.

Rumbles seem to be popular.
    The Ampeg BA210 combo seems nice, too.

Then it got to thinking about it from another perspective.

How about spending $350 on a Genz Benz 6.2 to grow with?
    Start with a small cabinet and then expand as needed?

What do you think?

Mastermold and catcauphonic like this.
  2. DO IT NOW!

rodl2005, Relsom, IconBasser and 6 others like this.
  3. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Thanks for the . . . "feedback".

What is "IT"?

Buy?

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I love love love my Shuttle 6.2! So many tone shaping capabilities, and more volume than you'll even need for that project ... you'll be prepared if you need more juice down the road :bassist: Heck, you can plug an auxiliary device in and even headphones if ya like. All that heft, & it only weighs like 4#s !!!

S-Bigbottom and reddog like this.
  5. Yes, buy the Genz and you will be set for years. With the ability to use any size cabs and play any size gigs. It also has a great DI for recording or going cabless into a P.A.

lomo and reddog like this.
  6. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    I like "IT"!
    Thanks !

catcauphonic and S-Bigbottom like this.
  7. the Genz Benz 6.2 is a great head. The only question I would raise is whether you want to save more and get one of the current generation heads - Genzler, Mesa, Quilter, Darkglass, Trickfish. As wonderful as the 6.2 is, the newest generation does bring a little more heft to the party.

And remember that your sound will only be as good as your weakest link... so don't skimp too much on your cab. If you're able to think in long terms of scalability that is wise. A high quality single 12, for example, with the plan of adding a second identical cab later or, if you save for one of the current generation heads, you might be able to add two or even three more single 12 cabs down the pike as needed/wanted. That allows you to use one cab when it works, two when needed, and if you can go more than tht with the head, three or four when you want to bring about the apocalypse.

reddog likes this.
  8. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Thank you everyone for your "input"!

I think I'll go for the 6.2 and a small cab right now.
    Using the logic I follow with computers, "Get what you need for the near future. Later on, what you want will be faster, better and cheaper when and if that time comes.

now to hunt a cab!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    revroy and S-Bigbottom like this.
  9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Play guitar.
    Shuttle 6.2 is my favorite bass head, and I've tried quite a few, but I always come back to it, even after trying other Genz Benz heads !

Mastermold and reddog like this.
  10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I may have the perfect cab for you. Check my signature for the link.

reddog likes this.
  11. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The economy cab to beat these days is the 400 watt Acoustic BN112 @ $229 . There's a thread about them here.

And the Shuttle 6.2 is a fine amp :) .

eff-clef and reddog like this.
  12. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    The Shuttle 6.2 is a fantastic amplifier. Notice I didn't say Class D because it is a great amplifier period. And if you can find one for $350, that would be a steal in my book. I paid $450 for mine and am not complaining one bit. Then you would want to pair it with a really nice cab that your Shuttle will shine through. Don't wait, do it NOW!!!!!!:bassist:

reddog and agedhorse like this.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Do it.
    The 6.2 gets a lot of love here on TB
    and Ed Friedland loves it.

reddog likes this.
  14. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I have a Shuttle 6.2 and did a very similar thing. Added a couple Fender Rumble v3 cabs (115 and 210), and I have been gigging that setup for at least 2-3 years. It works great when recording, it's super easy to practice with (head phone and aux in), and a dream to carry to the gig. Then you can pick up any speaker cab that you want to try, instead of being stuck with a combo speaker.

reddog and S-Bigbottom like this.
  15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I played a 6.0 for years through 212t cabs switch to a 2x10 with the 12t under it until last week
    I went to a Warwick law 1000 paired with a Acme lowB series 3 cab
    Love my GB stuff as I still have a contour 500x210
    But my new rig is 1000 watts at 4ohm which my Acme is
    But I digress
    You can never go wrong with Genz Benz or Genzler gear
    Buy it!
    Duke

reddog likes this.
  16. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a Shuttle 6.0 and ShuttleMax 9.2, both great amps, but 90% of the time I'm gigging with my Shuttle 6.0. Buy it!

reddog and theduke1 like this.
  17. I dunno about that man, the old Genz Benz gear was (and is) top notch stuff that can do anything the current gen can, maybe minus a few extra gizmos that reddog might not even need.

Using Genzler gear as an example - I've played through both, and honestly prefer my Genz Benz stuff to the newer releases.

Now, The other brands mentioned will certainly have their own unique sound, just like the Genz stuff has its own sound. It really comes down to what tickles your particular fancy. There was something special about the Genz Benz line, a certain sound that I haven't been able to replicate anywhere else. As long as my amps hold up, I have zero inclination to purchase anything else.

Reddog, you might do well to at least look up some videos and demo's of the other cutting edge Class D amps on the market, one of them might suit your tastes a bit better, but rest assured that you absolutely can't go wrong with Genz Benz equipment, and you certainly won't regret buying it.

rodl2005, reddog and mwbonsall like this.
  18. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I got my 6.2 for about $330 shipped and couldn't be happier. It has plenty of power for whatever cab you choose, big or small. It you are contemplating playing out, it will serve you well. The only downside is that the foot switch is made of Unobtanium; I've been searching for one for a year now.

reddog and Sindhu Partomo like this.
  19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83 Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I'd say that's a decent price for a great amp - you could certainly do worse... I often pair up my ShuttleMax 12.0 with a Mesa PH210 on top of a PH115, and it slays...

reddog likes this.
  20. I've owned two Genz Benz heads and they are top notch. And the price is great. I loved both of mine. Still, the Genzler does have more heft. Now... whether one prefers that is another question altogether and obviously is a matter of preference. And the new bells and whistles are what they are. I could pass on them and don't use them. @IconBasser , if you are perfectly happy with your shuttle... cool. That is the point isn't it? I only raised the question as to whether investigating the newer generation might be a good idea.

The OP said he/she has made the decision and I don't doubt they'll find the Genz Benz to be a great head... as they said, now on to the cab.

reddog likes this.