1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD - Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 - Wow !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Hey peeps... The title says it all really :hyper:

This year is the first time I have bought bass amplification for over 10 years (way too long) but the old GK 400RB (not a single failure in over 20 years mind you... constant use between my Dad and I) and other sleds needed a break and I needed a change...

I took delivery of an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 a few months back and well, fell in love... amazing, dare I say 'organic and earthy' tones, and clean ones too, that I had been missing with my SS gear.
    I Had played through a few tube heads and larger SS rigs when the opportunity presented itself at gigs,but until these micro class D guys came along (oh and TalkBass obsession) I just didn't feel compelled to upgrade my amps.
    So after taking the plunge into class D and having such an amazing result with the TH-350, the GB Shuttle 9.2 goes on sale, and the awesome guys at the 'the Bass Place' sorted me out with shipping to Australia. Thanks guys !
    Six days later !!! and I'm unboxing my second class D amp, and following a minor hiccup (thanks Andy ;)) I was up and running my new GB shuttle 9.2... wow...

I can now understand all the 'high power headroom' talk that goes on around here (hearing it with my own cabs), EDIT: Don't get me wrong, the TH-350 is no slouch and not underpowered, just that extra juice feels different... and I am so happy that the two amps are different enough and so capable that barring any unforeseen issues, will keep me in tone heaven for a long time...
    The Genz is so articulate and tight that I just can't wait to gig it. And the huge headroom really gives notes authority, if that makes sense... I know it's very early days, but crikey, first impressions are huge and impressive. I tip my hat to both the Genz and Aguilar guys... top shelf gear...

The only problem is the extra power has got me thinking about a possible upgrade from the TH-350 to the TH-500...
    Alas, more paid gigs and perhaps a new cab might have to come first ;)

Thanks to all on TB that posted about these amps, you all made it much easier to narrow down the choices and help me achieve my tonal goals. Just amazing...

:bassist:

2. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381373665.584459.

Oops, no pic no amp right ?

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Nice.. .welcome

4. Thanks.

I forgot to say how I'm also just blown away by the headphone amp in the 9.2... With a decent pair of cans ( i used a pair of DT-990's) it's jaw dropping...
    If I had that sound every time I went into to track in a studio who knows what would have made it to tape ;)
    If the DI sounds as good, look out !

5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    The DI on the GB heads is clean as a whistle.. They make great stuff.

6. fantastic ! Few hours of play now and I'm one happy bassist.

Gig this Saturday afternoon so the GB might indeed get a go :hyper:

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It makes perfect sense. It is what I, for one, have been preaching for years to the perennially underpowered.

Don't scrimp on power! Once you've experienced big headroom, you'll finally understand that it's far more about the quality of tone, than it is about the quantity of volume.

MM

8. Man, I'm a convert...

9. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Dig.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If the Hartkes in your profile are what you are currently using, and if you can afford to, a cab upgrade just might blow your mind:bag: Cabs have come just as far as heads over the years......... juss sayin':D You could get lighter, louder, lower and clearer, all at the same time, if you wanted to.

Apologies for pumping GAS.

11. So you should ! ;)

I know man, there is one place I know in Melbourne where I could go sample some tasty Aggies and a few other newer lighter cabs, but I'll give you an example of how prices suck over here... They want for example $1027 AUD for an SL112... Yes that's right a 112, and I here of you guys picking up a pair for $800 ! And at another store in another part of Australia a CN212 is $1358 !!!! Edit: and they will not shift on those prices... I had tried.
    I'm waiting for amazon to have another 10% off Aguilar stuff ( I got my TH-350 that way, pays for shipping to Australia) and maybe grab a GS112NT to start s mini stack ;)
    I love my XL's, but I hear ya man...
    If anyone wants to Help an Aussie playa out... Send me your spare Neo type 112... I'll pay the shipping ;) Lol

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's old news around here, of course. But one very satisfying answer to your dilemma is to obtain the plans for the fEARful cab(s) of your choice, and build 'em yourself. Or have a competent carpenter/woodworker build 'em for you (on a barter basis, or what have you).

In this scenario, your main expense would just be the cost of the drivers (plus possibly a waveguide) - much more doable than buying fully-built cabs on a retail basis.

FWIW, I'm not particularly handy. But if I lived in a country with sky-high gear prices, and I had very little budget to work with, I think I'd learn how to get handy in a hurry!

MM

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed - IME, their on board DIs are some of the very best in the biz...

- georgestrings

14. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What's the difference between the 9.0 and the 9.2 ?

15. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Hawthorne, NY
    I just got a new shuttlemax 9.2 and I love it. Very easily dialed in and sounds great. Definitely quality gear!!!

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Just a guess, but I *think* the power amp section was changed...

- georgestrings

17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The voicings changed. The 9.2 seems to have more lows.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Very slight voicing change and the addition of the 3DPM power management system.

19. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Could you elaborate a little ( in layman's terms ), about the voicing change ? Thanks.

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Ed explains some of it in this video.

The 6.2 and 9.2 are basically the same (except for power).