1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: Genz-Benz Streamliner 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Aug 13, 2012.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I actually got it last week, but have been too busy to take a pic and post about it... I used it at a gig last thursday, and with an '08 American Standard Jazz into a Mesa PH215, it did a great job for the Alice Cooper trib act I played with... That was a 1 guitar band setting - we'll see how it does in my LOUD 2 guitar modern rock/rock/metal band this week... I suspect I'd be better off with the STL900, but we'll see...

Anyways, here's the obligatory crappy pic:

IMAG0770.

Although I mostly play either Mesa or G-K, this is the 3rd Genz-Benz amp I've owned - and I'm glad to have another one of their products - great company IME/IMO...

- georgestrings

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Welcome to the club!

What are you pushing this through?

Are you getting the 4 ohm load for the full 600 watts?

3. They're good amps. Not too colorful, but solid "do anything" amps.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Thanks - at thursday's gig it was a PH215, this week's rehearsal it'll be a Peavey 215D-BW that's Eminence Kappa LFA loaded, and my other cab is a PH810 - all my cabs are 4 ohm... I just like a ton of low end, and tend to play in loud bands, also - I have to push the STL600 pretty hard to obtain the same volume that my other 2 amps get without breaking a sweat: an M-pulse 600 and a 700rb-II...

Still, I *think* it'll be loud enough - and it sounds really good... If worse comes to worse, I'll flip it - kick in a little more cash, and bump up to the STL900... I've been gassin' for either an SVT or a 400+, but maybe this will satisfy those urges for awhile longer...

My M-pulse 600 can get just about as "tubey", but it's also in a rack that weighs nearly 50lbs - I used the STL600, set an XDS-PLUS wireless on top of it, plugged a Pitchjack in the back - and it worked well, and was really handy...

- georgestrings

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, it sure looks like it - my other 2 G-B amps were a GBE600 and a Neo-Pak 3.5, and they were both nice pieces of gear...

- georgestrings

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If pushing the 600 is just getting you there, I think the 900 might be better for your situation. Nothing wrong with pushing it, but better to have some headroom.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed, but it won't be happening right away - no gigs for the next 3 weeks because of the NYS Fair and Labor Day...

- georgestrings

8. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Are you running it with the gain switch engaged? Whats your settings?

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    George are you in NY?

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I've tried the Gain switch, but had to back off the Gain knob to reach my tonal goal - I like tube amps, but am more of a "warm and clean with a little growl" type of player... Past a certain amount of gain, I start getting more grit/growl than I'm looking for - although it could work for *some* stuff...

I mainly got this amp for something a bit different from my other two - although A/B'ing with my M-pulse 600 today shows that it's pretty similar... The M-p 600 can do "warm and clean", or tube driven "grit and growl", at any volume I'll ever need - whereas the STL600 might not, unless pushed to the edge of limiting... I am convinced that the STL900 is a better fit for me, but just can't swing it at the moment...

Regarding my settings - they're pretty much as in the pic, except I had Gain @ 1 o'clock and Master at about 2 o'clock...

- georgestrings

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I'm in Syracuse...

- georgestrings

12. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Note that some people really like the tone they get when they're pushing these amps into that limiting mode with the 3D technology that GB has employed so maybe "pushing" it will get you where you want to go.

13. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Agreed. This is one of a few reasons why I prefer the 600 over the 900 (at least as of this posting). I did dozens of outdoor gigs with a puny Eden WT-400 and always had enough stage volume. A Streamliner 600 spanks the WT-400. On those rare occasions when even more horsepower is required there's always my Tech 21 SansAmp RPM/Crown XTi 2000 rack rig. It fascinates me how much more attention the 900 gets on this forum compared to its little brother. The STM-600 rocks, IMHO. :)

M. M.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I knew that - I'm figuring that it'll definitely work for everything other than the modern rock/metal thing - and will even work for that *if* I want tube driven sound... I don't mind having it for an option, believe me... I've also observed that it still sounds good even with the limit light flashing pretty good...

- georgestrings

15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Gain at 1 and Master at 2? I think you NEED the 900.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Curious as well as to your further impressions. The STL sort of piqued my interest for a bit. I'm happy with what I've got and the only thing people talk about is the 900.

I share your tone likes of tube amps as well. Warm, fat, but still clean. Some snarl if you want it but I don't want to have that all the time.

I'm a guy who can do what I need to do with 300 watts and a pair of good 12's. If the 600 comes up just a wee bit short in your bigger/louder situations, it'd likely be in my sweet spot.

Note their default position has the mids scooped a bit, not drastic, but a little. Different, and probably seemingly less "loud" than a Mesa tone.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    If I were to try to use it exclusively, then yeah - definitely... I'm used to the M-pulse 600 and 700rb-II, and they're both pretty powerful beasts...

I know that knob position doesn't mean alot, but comparitively - my "pre" and "post" settings for those 2 amps are 1 o'clock/10 o'clock, and 10 o'clock/noon, respectively...

- georgestrings

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm used to taking GK's and dialing them up to be a little "warmer" than their default sounds. Likewise, I can take a lot of Ampegs and dial them up to be a little clearer or less "cloudy" than their default sounds. Talking SS Ampegs there, SVT is exempt.

Does the Streamliner fall somewhere in between there?

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Well, I'll know more when I use it at rehearsal this week... Power-wise, I think it's right on the edge to fill *all* my needs, whereas I think the 900 would leave me some comfort zone to play with in all situations...

Regarding mids, I typically run my mids @ noon on the M-pulse 600, and had 'em @ 2 o'clock on the STL600 - so yeah, I could see that... I typically need around 500 watts and atleast a 610 or 215 for my purposes - I like to move alot of air, and push some strong lows... Let's put it this way: I get asked by soundmen to cut my lows once every 5-10 gigs, a request I almost always accomodate... Also, I always check out the sound in from of the guitar rig on the other side of the drums from me - sometimes, my rig will be have stronger lows over there than right in front of me... so, it's better for me to cut a little low than to make that guy turn up his guitar rig to fight my lows....

- georgestrings

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I use a little G-K or Mesa "warmth", also - for me, the perfect amp sound is warm and clean, with lots of low end, good highs, but not enough to "gank", and enough mids to be able to hear myself in a band mix without needing to be too loud... Also, I like my amps "warm and clean", but to give me a little more grit/growl when I dig in pretty good...

I *think* you'd like the Streamliner, given your posts - let's put it this way: I love the way my 700rb-II sounds, and I can easily get an excellent sound out of the STL600...

- georgestrings