NAD/Gig Report: Phil Jones Bass Cub

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 8, 2016.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Hard to believe just a couple years ago I was hauling around an Ampeg SVT with accompanying 8x10 cabinet and today I just received and gigged with one of the smallest bass combos on the market, the Phil Jones Bass Cub! 250 lbs. vs. 13 lbs.! I was extremely skeptical about the Bass Cub, but I gigged with it tonight playing in a 15-piece big band outdoors and while I had to crank the volume all the way up the little amp actually held its own. Tone is kind of "boxy", doesn't make a ton of lows, but definitely can cut through to be heard. I'll probably still use my Ampeg B-100R combo for these type of gigs but this amp really is nice when you can't park close to the stage and have to carry it for distances.

914377_42420.jpg

GrooverMcTube and BasturdBlaster like this.
  2. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Seriously? I have a Bass Cub and I dig it for what it is, but I consider it a bit of a toy. It's a nicely put-together toy, but that's about it. It's fun for an at-home practicing or for practicing when traveling, but it's output is very limited and it really does not produce any low fundamental tones. I can't imagine ever actually gigging with it.