NAD! GK800RB Corrects Another Historical Error—Now What?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Keep the Peavey 1x15

10.2%
  2. Different 1x15 (comment with recommendation)

2.0%
  3. 2x10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2x12

34.7%
  5. 4x10

32.7%
  6. Bi-amp like it's 1999!

22.4%
  7. Definitely some kind of Orange, i.e. something carrot-colored

8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. A1182717-FDE1-4373-AC63-70911107CD32.jpeg
    Rough image of a rough piece, but the smile says it all. I don’t think the 800RB was ever known for its looks, anyway. Reverb seller said it was beat up but worked perfectly, and a quick test run bears that out.

I would say it sounds better than I remember, but I really don’t remember the sound of the one I bought new in the ‘90s (I favored a clean, scooped sound then, so I wouldn’t have set it anywhere near like what I prefer now, anyway). In one of my more spectacular teenage screw-ups, I managed to toast that one by plugging the guitarist’s instrument into the wrong end of my Bass Crybaby and shifting the pitch of the feedback with the treadle—oodles of fun, until the smoke billowed forth. I gave the carcass to a buddy who wanted to resurrect it … and he has used it as a backup to his SVTs for 20 years.

I got this one thinking it would serve as a suitable backup to my own Mesa Buster, and I presume the honeymoon’s in full effect right now, but the 800RB may be more of a challenger than a backup! At the very least, it seems like a suitable alternative.

I have only had a few minutes with this one to make sure it works, but I just guessed at settings before switching it on and—other than needing that -10db input pad—I pretty much nailed it. I don't even remember having had a boost knob the first time around—maybe I never had it switched on?—but with that dimed, my Ps get just the right kind of gritty. Super intuitive controls.

So far, I have just plugged straight in, with the 800RB powering a '90s Peavey 1x15 (4ohm, 400w, Scorpion, metal grille, rat fur!). Good enough. Loud enough. But if anybody has any suggestions for cabs and setups (I can't go bigger than a 4x10 in my situation) to get the most out of this head for gritty, ganky, detuned metal, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man-

800sw15s.png

I've got one and it's the oldest amp I own. Can't bust them ;)

chupacerveza and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  3. Yet somehow, I managed to bust one, haha/groan. In the absence of good guidance (this was pre-TalkBass mid-'90s, after all) I had very different ideas about settings, and my first problem might be that I started by maxing out the lows at every opportunity and adjusting everything else from there. But I got away with it until that trick with the wah pedal, haha/groan some more.

Spidey2112 and 1bassplayinfool like this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    So So So many Newer amps have died way before that one Does. Many more on the way. tick tock tick tock.

Most entertaining thing about Talkbass is reading about new amps dying . While your turd heavy lead sled still destroys all of them.

Its so heavy waah waah

Best Generic answer is a used 400 buck 810E and call it a day, a year, a life lol

Ive seen one melted output section on a GK. involved very low impedance cabs and another pedal torture adventure. Not my amp. always hilarious and rare. its like a metal of honor. Like killing a Peavey. Dude what were you doing that actually killed a Peavey lol

5. I have also killed a Peavey, haha ... though I should note that it was a recent piece, and that a shipping company struck the actual blow.

chupacerveza likes this.
  6. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Very nice. I've been looking at those used on reverb, but didn't pull the trigger. I've played through one and it is very powerful.

chupacerveza and CEBill like this.
  7. Every one I saw on reverb until I saw this one wanted 500–600 USD, which I didn't really feel like spending on a second "real" amplifier at this time. I haven't bothered to find out how long they've sat at those prices. When this seller started at 350, I offered 350 shipped, and now you see it in my possession. Most of the others looked better than this one, but this one doesn't have a scratchy-sounding anything or frayed power cord, so I don't mind. I might even have some custom knobs made if I still like it this much in a month, haha.

8. 1bassplayinfool

Two words... chicken heads

800rbs.png

9. 1bassplayinfool likes this.
  10. 1bassplayinfool

Monterey Bay-ss and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Monterey Bay-ss :)

You 're guy with many talents! :laugh:

Happy NAD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

You can' t go wrong with the RB 800!

Nothing wrong with the Peavey cab, just be careful with the volume! ;)

I would get a good 212 cab to go with the amp.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ditto.

Monterey Bay-ss and Wisebass like this.
  13. Look into the peavey pvh series. Designed from my understanding for down tuned metal. I just picked up the 212 and that things a beast.

14. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    2x15

1x15 isn’t enough for an amp like that.
    I use the 400rb with 2x15s, and it’s my favorite sound for grit. I also have a 4x10, but it doesn’t compare to the 2x15.

If your only option is a 1x15, then go with the 4x10.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  15. When I moved into my house, I had a Sunn (O))) Concert Bass head and 2x15 (some previous owner had swapped out the JBLs for Alpha Tones :banghead: but it still sounded okay) and wasn’t playing much. By the time I dove deep back into playing a year and a half ago, the driveway had become a lawn and the garage had filled with junk and the only way to move that 2x15 was through the house, involving several stairs. I did that just once: when I sold the Sunn (O))) rig to fund the purchase of my Mesa Buster 1x15, which is juuust right in terms of sounds-per-pound. I think the only 2x15 I would consider bringing into my house would be the Mesa Subway, which I would totally get if I was gigging regularly enough to justify that big of a purchase.

Grapevine921, rodl2005 and Wisebass like this.
  16. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I agree. You would really have to love the sound of a 2x15 to put up with lugging it around. There are ways to make it easier — a pair of skateboard wheels mounted to the bottom back and a fold-out handle to the top. Just tip it back and roll it (I think I got this idea from Pinterest or some other site).

17. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I found the video.

Skillet and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  18. Buster (1x15 combo, ~90 pounds) has built in skateboard-truckish wheels and a retractable handle. The actual trucks must come in handy when you and a buddy get to the stairs, haha.

BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  19. Oh, and I had an Ampeg V-6b 2x15 (which I somehow got into my upstairs bedroom) around the time I fried my previous 800RB. Sounded good, as far as I can remember. That’s the piece my buddy with my refurbished RB wishes he hadn’t let get away from him, haha.

20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I like my 12s. A good 212 would do you some good. Look around for a K212 in your area. They are very bright and crisp. But, have a lot of low end also. I don't think they make them anymore, but I've seen them selling for about 300. I love mine though. Great cabinet. 8 ohm, 600w, loud and clean as hell. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard mine fart out...ever.

chupacerveza likes this.