1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: guess what I bought (Ampeg content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. For those that are unaware, I'm an Ampeg junkie. I've got one very desirable/collectable amp on the way and it should be here tomorrow. I've got a lot of good Ampeg gear in the classifieds here to help fund the purchase of two more amps which will get their own NAD thread in time.

Anyone care to guess what's coming before I post pics tomorrow?

High Camp likes this.
  2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Oliver powerflex? Music store I worked for had one (owner is a collector) watching the head motor into and out of the cab was awesome!

3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    The 1961-ish Johnny Smith Fountain of Sound that sold recently on Ebay? If so, lucky man. Beautiful amp!

4. Oh, yeah! Those are so cool. I have had to restrain myself from one in the past. I told myself "no, you collect Ampeg". Otherwise there would be no end.

I saw that. So cool. But, alas, I have had to limit my interest to all-tube Ampeg amps. And, of course the cabinets they were intended to be used with.

Both excellent, creative, guesses I must say. But nope.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    B2RE and 410he?

6. MOM!!!!

7. shadven

shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    I am an Ampeg freak too. My strangest Ampeg aquistion is a beautiful early sixties cab with 28" speaker in it. It looks just like a huge B-15 cab. The ad said "B-18 extension cab". No one knows anything about it, and I can't find any info on what it was used for?

Bass 45 and lowplaces like this.
  8. Is 28" a typo?

9. shadven

shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    No, it's a huge 28" speaker in a perfectly proportioned cab. One off? Special order for a theater or something? Its a freak of nature. I wish I could find out something about it.

elkkid2 and spaz21387 like this.
  10. lowplaces

lowplaces Needs Mo Motown and Stax Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Start a thread with pics. If they were ever released eventually someone will know.

elkkid2 and johnson79 like this.
  11. That's what I was going to guess: theater or sound reinforcement. Would love to see a pic. I assume you've looked in the Ampeg book....

12. Found an old thread where you mention it and post pics:

Strange Older Ampeg

lowplaces likes this.
  13. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    So huuuge!

14. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Mesa Boogie Subway?
    Ashdown 20th Anniversary?
    Markbass Evo 1?
    Darkglass?
    Aguilar?
    DIY DI?

I'm tired of guessing...

ficelles likes this.
  15. Last edited: May 19, 2017
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1994 SVT III with an Isovent cab?

(I had that right for several years. That Isovent cab was a freak of nature. Sounded exactly the same in the back of the room as it did right in front of it.)

17. My god! You roll out that 28" cab and yell 'Release the Kraken'. Instant dislike from the soundguy at your venue!
    Holy smokes - it looks like a cabinet for a 4x10 with only one hole!

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Prototype Ampeg SVT used by the Stones on the tour which was recorded for "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out"?

19. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    In a 1980's Bass Players magazine interview, John Paul Jones talked about a 30 inch speaker prototype cab some company brought to him to try out. He said it sounded glorious for about 5 minutes, then smoke, fire, sparks, or something really bad happened and it quit. They rolled it out and he never heard from them again. I always remembered that story.

20. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Love the turnbuckle bracing setup in that big cab. :)