1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD = Lightning In A Box!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linnin, May 10, 2018.

1. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Ahhhh! A new Fender Rumble Studio 40!
    Linn&Fenders.

Crusher47, jeff7bass, nixdad and 21 others like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Review: Fender Rumble Studio 40 Is Lightening In A Box!

For those of you that do not know, the new Fender Rumble Studio 40 and its big brother the Stage 800 have taken the bass amp world by storm. Winner of Bass Gear Magazine's 'Best of Show' award at Winter NAMM 2018. 2018 Winter NAMM Show Awards | Bass Gear Magazine Publisher Tom Bowlus (@tombowlus) states "...let me just say that the new Studio 40 and Stage 800 impressed the heck out of us. I’m willing to throw out the phrase “game changer.” Seriously, folks, these new Rumbles are great!"
    Fender calls them "Lightning In A Box" Rumble™ Studio 40 You can find all the specs here and also download an owner's manual in any of ten languages.

Quick overview:
    2 studio pre-amps = if you want totally clean super transparent and ultra flat Hi-Fi tone, here it is. The complete package. 13 classic iconic amps, and who doesn't want to own fifteen or twenty thousand dollars worth of the very best bass amplifiers in history? Do you miss the mighty SWR Redhead? It's in there in all its glory! Yes, that good!

23 speaker cabinets to choose from. The new 10" Fender Special Design drivers are exceedingly Hi-Fi in order to duplicate the tone and other sound quality characteristics of each cabinet. They are so good as to truly amaze the high $$$ speaker connoisseurs.

40 studio quality effects. They are here big time! The bass synths and octobot are just amazing and thick. Just look in the owner's manual for yourself. And hey, who doesn't want four thousand dollars worth of great effects, eh?

All the controls are programmable, so they do different things according to the amp model chosen. You get that amp's tone stack. Plus there are additional EQ options available to include two 7 band graphics and a semi-parametric. So tons of tone sculpting ability.

The presets are pretty cool with many of them being totally usable as is. Others are more sonic sketchpads to demonstrate some of the amps strengths and capabilities. You will have to try them on for yourself and tweak & tailor to your desires for proper fitment. Plus build your own personal presets to include the ability to create your personal setlist of tones/sounds for live work. This is something I am going to have to dive into head first.

I popped the Studio 40 on top of my Rumble 200 combo to use as a pre-amp. Boy Howdy let me tell you what! Massively HUGE! If you own a class D amp of any brand, just do this and stand back.

So yes, just do this. You'll be glad you did.

RobTheRiot, RedVee, Giffro and 13 others like this.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am glad to hear that you seem to be digging the new Studio/Stage as much as I am! :hyper: :bassist: :thumbsup:

RedVee, Giffro, betown and 3 others like this.
  4. @Linnin your bass is back the front! It must be hard to play! :D

I always did like white basses. :)

5. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No, it's easier to play that way, and I like it like that.

6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Beginning to learn my way around the digital end of this amp. Very few of the presets are the same volume. So if you are going to switch from one to the other you need to make some adjustments. Now celebrating my first success! :woot: :hyper: :bassist: It's the little things that count in life. ;) :thumbsup:

7. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    What? No footswitch, Linn?

I got the 4-button footswitch for my B-DEC a couple years after getting that amp, and it opened up a whole new bunch of possibilities!

Lucky Rumble Stage 800 owners get the footswitch included. The Studio should, too, IMO.

Giffro, tombowlus and Linnin like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, he or she was kind enough to include the optional $80 footswitch too. I am focused on learning how to make my own presets. So much to learn & know!

Giffro, Spidey2112, G-Dog and 4 others like this.
  9. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    :thumbsup:

Linnin likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Lookin' good, @Linnin!

I have a Bronco 40, which I absolutely love... not loud, by any means, but very versatile as a practice amp.

Enjoy!

Kevin Wolfe, edencab and Linnin like this.
  11. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Dang it! Now I have amp g.a.s. again! Congrats Linnin!

Linnin likes this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Thank you @thumpbass1, and you're welcome! For those that can afford it, buy both the Stage 800 and Studio 40 and build all your presets and setlists together. That way you'd be ready for anything for many years to come.

Giffro and thumpbass1 like this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Just having a whole lot of fun. And You?

Giffro and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Listen!

JGbassman likes this.
  15. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Our Linnin is a mollydooker Paul loll
    Aussie explanation Urban Dictionary: mollydooker

RedVee likes this.
  16. I realise that though I have never heard the term ‘Mollydooker.’ You guys down below really do speak a different language!! :D

RedVee and Giffro like this.
  17. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Naahh we still use terms like Lefty and SouthPaw as well...otherwise yeah we Aussies do have a certain propensity for the odd terminology..lol

RedVee likes this.
  18. Not to mention animules! :)

Giffro likes this.
  19. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I told you never to mention that Paul loll

BassmanPaul likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012