1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: Mesa Boogie Buster 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christw, Jul 31, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Got this puppy from the FedEx truck before my first shift today. The box took at least one big hit on the way here but it was packed well enough that the only casualty was a single 6L6. I borrowed one from the B-15 to check it out. I haven't had much time with it yet (between shifts right now!) but this thing kicks! I really like the tonal options I get from this amp, even just tweaking the Mid, Bass, and Treble controls so far. The luggage handle and casters make it so freakin' convenient.

So who wants to tell me everything I don't know about the Buster combos? :D

IMG399.
    IMG401.

2. Looks like the world's heaviest stage monitor, but I bet it sounds awesome. :)

I've been interested in the Buster heads, so I'll be waiting to hear what people have to say about the combo.

Congrats!

3. Damn. I like that. Simple, and straight to the point. If it had an onboard compressor, I wouldn't want for anything else. Do you think it'll stand on it's own in a real world gig setting?

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Thus far my impression is that it sounds clean until the edge of breakup when it gets a fat overdrive. As far as weight, this weighs about the same as my Bassman 300 Pro head and is easier to flat out pick up and carry, plus it has the luggage handle.

I don't ever use a comp, even when it's built into my amp. The only compression I use is a touch sensitive tube overdrive. ;)

It's preemptive to speak on it's gigability when I've barely tested the amp but I think with an extension 210, it would hold up in most scenarios. 200 watts is my bare minimum. I might try to find a Diesel 210 or 115 to sneak until this guy. Both were killer cabs when I had them.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had the same 210 wedge combo, and absolutely loved it. Great stinging clean bass tones, pounded out with authority. Problem is the weight, and awkwardness of it. Enjoy that puppy.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    It seems like the small cab size also contributes to an SVT810-like low end roll off. It took the 6 string just fine at the verge of a rather wooly overdrive when at 5-5-5.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Congrats!

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Update: I finally got to run this amp with the upright and it's got a great tone with a surprising amount of volume when you dial it in. Some of you guys might not agree but the Mesa reminds me a lot of my Portaflex amps. I think the 210 is definitely gig worthy for 95% of the upright or electric shows I'll see but won't stand alone at a big outdoor show. It's on my to-do list to find a Diesel 210 or 115 to stick underneath it "just in case." ;)

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am always happy to see the Buster get some recognition. With the right settings it can be really fat sounding. I would love to hear upright through it, I bet it kills! I've used mine with cello too and it really fattens up the piezo pickup.

Have you checked out the manual? The tone controls interact with the volume control in a weird way. As you move the volume knob (not the master) up, you get a more mid-forward tone. When turned counterclockwise it's more scooped/ stiff sounding. If you crank it to the right it's really meaty, woolly and more "plush". Dime all the EQ sliders and the volume and it gets some gnarly warm drive, even with the master way down.
    Honestly I keep the rotary knobs around noon (except when I lower the treble for my soul gig).

I think that 210 combo with an matching old 15 under it would be such a cool rig. Congrats!

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I checked out the manual and toyed with the knobs a bit. I was a little surprised but definitely happy with this thing's versatility. It'll go from spanky mids to wooly fatness in the twist of a knob. I saw a bar band using a Buster 115 several years ago and was blown away by the guy's tone. It was that same warm, fat overdrive and at a reasonable volume too. I can't wait to test this out with my three piece while my Bassman is throwing a fit. ;)

For what it's worth, I keep things near noon with the electric but on upright with the help of a GEB-7 taming the piezo's high mids, I run the Mesa at about noon volume, 9 o'clock treble, 8 o'clock mids, and 1 o'clock bass. That ends up sounding very much like the upright tone I use with the B-12XTC or B-15 too.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Cool tips in here, I'll have to try some of this stuff out. I have owned a Buster wedge for a good few months now.

I find it to be very straightforward with modest ranges of the knobs (10:00 - 2:00, where I use 'em... havent tried super extreme settings) mainly affecting midrange orientaton.

It's a pretty transpartent tube amp IMO. The way I guage this is by how sensitive it is to adjustments of pickup sweep knob- very much so (by comparison one of my Ampeg preamps sounds almost the same regardless of my sweep).

If I were to do medium sized gigs with it, it definitely has the power but I'd use an extension cab. My deal is that it projects such that it sounds very different depending on where you are standing, even in a smallish room.

I also own a Bass 400 and D180 and have tried both through the wedge enclosure. I kind of prefer them to the Buster, but Buster gets me 90% of the way there as just a plug & play.

12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I'm guessing Mesa would be my turn to for a new set of casters?

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Well, got my first trial of the Mesa at rehearsal tonight. I set it on top of the Goliath III since the Fender was down for the count. In short order, I was committing a sonic sin and running both cabs off of the head. The EV's deliver the midrange and upper midrange while the SWR delivered the deeper low end. It was a great combination for my three piece. As it turns out, they prefer the Mesa to the Fender! I won't complain for now. ;)

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Bump for more tips on this head. I am on the fence about mine and considering selling. It doesn't seem all that versatile to me, just straightforward (rock tone).

What styles/genres do you guys use your Buster's for and what preamp tubes do you use?

15. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    There was a CL post in the SF/Bay Area for one of these for $500(!). Don't know anything else about it or whether seller would ship, but there you go.