1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD - Mesa content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Nov 16, 2010.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    It was actually last tuesday, but I've been busy since then... I traded in my well worn Big Block 750 without a footswitch for a new M-pulse 600 with a footswitch...

The new 600 has the updated features - speakon jacks for speaker out, tuner mute switch jack, active/passive switch with one input jack, etc... so, even though I kicked in a little cash, I'm still happy with the outcome... The BB750 sounded great *by itself*, but had a tendency to disappear in a band mix - whereas the M-pulse is much easier to hear with my full band playing... I gigged it last saturday with my recently scored PH810, and this combination slays...

Anyways, here's some pics:

MesaM-pulse600-4.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    M-pulse600onPH610-2.

M-pulse600rackback-1.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'm mostly going to be gigging it with this beast:

PH810-1.

4. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Nice vinyl collection.:ninja:

Nice Rig too.

:D

God Bless, Ray

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Thanks, Ray - I'm pretty happy with it...

- georgestrings

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Real nice stuff- I used to be an Ampeg sorta guy, then I bought a Walkabout. Next thing you know, all but one small Ampeg combo is gone, and another mesa amp sits next to the WA rig. Once you go Mesa for bass, there's no turning back- they just do it right. The whole "SimulState" series rocks, congrats.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm glad I don't have to move those cabs, but dang, I bet that sounds *great!*

8. Dudelike89

Dudelike89

Jun 27, 2010
    CA
    Lookin' good! How does the sound of the BB750 compare to the 600?

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I'd say the 600 does "warm and clean" to a T - with some tube grit/grind available, whereas the 750 is a grit/grind and OD machine... I really couldn't get as much clean volume out of the BB750 as I wanted - I only want a tiny bit of grit, and alot of warm clean volume... Also, the 600 is definitely louder - but I have to say that I never ran out of volume with the 750... Both have excellent sounding DIs, that worked great thru the FOH, set to post-EQ...

In short - if you want OD and don't need clean tones, the BB750 is a great choice... If you want clean, but tube warmth with some grit "on tap", the M-pulse 600 is a killer choice...

My way of thinking is that I can always dial up more grind or OD with a pedal if I want it, but mostly dig clean warm tones with lots of low end, and good clarity in a band mix... I play mostly modern rock these days in a loud cover band that mostly plays clubs or bars that'll hold 300-500, so this rig is just about perfect *for me*... It also helps that our backline is hauled in a truck, but moving it in my F150 is no trouble, either...

Interestingly enough, I'm mostly not even using the 5 band semi-parametric EQ - I get a better tone with gain, bass/mid/treble, and master volume... but with the 5 band, lead boost, effects loop, and compressor being footswitchable, this amp has PLENTY of tricks up it's sleeve...

- georgestrings

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I don't mean to distract....but I thought you were a 700RB for life guy?

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

You know, I don't find moving them to be all that big a deal - but then, I've always been a big cab kinda guy, and keep myself in decent shape... I've also owned either a truck or a van for the last 20 years or so - and yeah, it does sound great...

- georgestrings

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

What I said was, I'd always keep a 700rb-II around because I think they're one of the best amps ever made - and true to my word, I still have one... Probably part of the reason why I swapped the BB750 for the M-pulse 600 is that the 600 more closely resembles the 700rb-II, which still meets my tonal goals quite well, and sits in a mix better *for me* than the BB750 did...

- georgestrings

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, Mesa makes great stuff, no doubt...

- georgestrings

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I sold my BB750 but have no plans to ever part with my Walkabout or Carbine M9. I would gladly buy a 600 as the one time I tried one, i was really impressed. You did well on that deal. I still really like the BB750, but I like Mesa's other models more.