NAD: Mesa Prodigy finally hit town.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, so I got the call from Chris at BSD today that my amp was in. So I gathered up my camera and props and went over to shoot an unboxing video, which should be up on YouTube in a couple days. You're going to find it either entertaining or annoying. I'll post a link in this thread.

I ordered it with the red lights and, sure enough, it came with the blue lights. No prob - the sound is almost as good with blue as with red, I'm sure. It sounds just the way I remembered from a couple months ago, fat and warm down low and crisp and tight up top. I've got a gig with it this Friday night (after all day at NAMM), so I'm excited to see how it works for real.

Anyway, no pics, no amp, so here:

Prodigy-Head-web_zps13ff063e.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Nice. Look forward to hearing it.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Sweet!

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, you're not going to hear it. You're going to see 17 minutes of me taking it out of the box. If you want to hear one just like it, here's a link.

5. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    played a gig today first set with Berg NV115 and Mesa Prodigy second set same cab and a B/Amp Big difference why does the Prodigy suck I want to like the amp.What do think ??? I bet its discontinued soon

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Maybe you're not a tube guy. I like the Prodigy, but I don't expect it to sound anything like my B|Amp.

7. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    The cab farted out where the B/Amp didn't I wonder if you need to run a more efficient cab with the Prodigy or two cabs ??

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    One likely possibility is the much lower damping factor (by a factor of ~10) results in looser control of the speaker. With some cabinets, typically underdamped, the lower damping factor results in what you describe.

Tube amps are often not the best choice under these conditions.

9. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    I suppose that cab is not very efficient ??

10. See what Andy says, but I think as far as a cab design for a given driver, more efficient cab is less damped.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Possibly. More efficient cabinets tend to be more underdamped but this doesn't have to be the case in practice.

Damping is different than efficiency and sensitivity.

12. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    Im not that technical All I know is the Prodigy is tricky to sound good Im thinking of selling it for a 3rd of what I bought it for

13. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    My guess is it's not really a Tube amp because 300 watts should be plenty But a version of the Carbine series with Tubes

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No, it really is a tube amp. Just not an amp that suits your needs.

15. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    The Prodigy didn't work well with my Audiokinesis Hathor 212. It would sound farty as well. My SVT, Quilter BB800 and new Orange 4 Stroke all sound killer through that cab.

I sold the Prodigy to a fellow TB'er who says it sounds great with his 2 x 15 Dually with no farting.

16. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    Yes I think there's some design issues I bet they don't produce it much longer I had mire on consignment at a local store here for 5 months not a single over Bought a Bergantino B/amp like it alot

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Why would you think there are design issues?

I explained that many TUBE amps don't work well with some cabinets, specifically under-damped ported cabinets, and I gave the (primary) reason why. This is not unique to the Prodigy but to tube amps in general. It's the same reason why tube amps often work better than solid state amps with sealed cabinets and overdamped ported cabinets. This is not a design issue, but a characteristic inherent in tube amplifiers as a whole.

I get it that it didn't work for you. It's why I always recommend that playing an amp is important, to see if it works for your needs, tastes and preferences. It's a tube amp, maybe tube amps in general don't fit your style. If you were unaware of these characteristics, then it appears that you learned some important (though costly) information about at least one of the differences between types of amps.

smperry and Anachronism like this.
  18. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    The Berg cab is a sealed cab other TB's are having the same issues

19. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    this sounds right. i've had two fender super twin conversions ( from combo into a mojo head cab, ) which invariably killed with sealed cabs but were hit and miss with an assortment of ported cabs - some worked, some definitely did not.

20. d3mcgee

d3mcgee

Jan 8, 2017
    After listening to the clips of the gig The Prodigy sounds good It just sometimes sounds very distorted on stage ??