1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD! Mesa Strategy Eight:88, and dumb questions re: tuner out and ohmage inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, May 5, 2015.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Oh my goodness gracious, just took delivery of a lightly used Mesa Strategy Eight:88 and it is nothing short of PHENOMENAL! I'm having lots of fun dialing in all sorts of various tubey tones. I've been an Ampeg boy for the better part of a decade, but... da*ned if my Ampeg SVT7Pro isn't going up in the FS forum soon :) This amp is SA-WEET, and at 50 lbs it doesn't exactly break the back either.

Now, for my dumb questions:
    What's up with the tuner output? I can't seem to get any signal off of it unless I'm A. off standby B. off mute, and C. have at least a little output via Gain and Master - i.e. unless there is sound coming from the speaker, my tuner has no output signal. This seems... counterintuitive, and makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Am I going to have issues plugging the amp's 4 ohm output into the 4-ohm input on my Bergantino HT-322? I ask only because there's writing that says "use with two 8 ohm cabs" next to the 4 ohm outputs on the amp. Why would it matter what the number of cabs are, so long as the final resistance is 4 ohms?

Attached Files:

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    1. The tuner out should work when the amp is muted. I'd assume it would need to be off standby and the gain and master to be up. I'm not sure I can envision a scenario when I'd want to tune without those happening though...so I can't say it would work otherwise.

2. No issues with a single 4 ohm cab

3. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Heh, I went down and took another look at it. Looks like the problem was at the far end of the instrument cable. I had the Tuner output of the amp going into the 'output' jack of the tuner, instead of "Input B". Dunno why it worked when there was sound coming through the speakers (maybe an internal mic on the tuner?), but once I got the wiring right the tuner behaved as expected.

4. Twit!!! :)

I've done worse and I'm glad you got it sorted. Yes the tuner would be using its internal mic.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    ^ Here's your answer. as long as it's the final impedence.

I think they print that example as there seems to be many folks out there who have no idea how to hook up multiple cabs to a head. I remember my former guitarist asking me why there's 16/8/4 ohm jacks on the back of his Marshall.

Congrats on the Strat, yet another Rack Mount version too!