NAD: Mesa Subway D-800+ Content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DigitalMan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I have been re-arranging my home office/studio setup lately, with a few design goals in mind. One of those goals has been to right-size my gear for such a setting.

As many of you may know, I have a tendency for rack stuff and am a bit of a Rush fan, so hence my gear has been a bit on the complex side.

However, this just arrived today (I have had the cab for a couple of weeks, but the amp head just arrived).

So far, I've played two songs and am just beside myself. What an easy amp to dial in great sound with. As far as I can tell, just about any setting is going to sound great.

@agedhorse - nicely done indeed!

View attachment 2787160

petch, lomo, jnewmark and 5 others like this.
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Not heard a bad thing on these amps. Really wanna try one out. My wife would prefer I didn't...

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Just need to turn that cab the right way :D

/\/\3phist0 and agedhorse like this.
  4. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    It’s not gonna live there. Just waiting on some new furnishings.

(But if you are implying it should be tilted 90 degrees my OCD won’t handle the logo or feet being out of position)

lomo likes this.
  5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Sweet Treets. Supporting Member

The grille is predrilled so you can flip it the right way for vertical orientation.
    And Mesa has feet that screw in at the corner without making new holes.
    1456497156361.jpg

petch, azfatboy and DigitalMan like this.
  6. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Sadly I only had about 30 minutes at home total tonight, which makes it all that more impressive that I was able to unbox, play songs, and post this thread.

Now a few additional thoughts. What really strikes me about this amp is how focused it is even when dialing in a nice amount of grittiness. To me the hardest thing to pull off is an E string that sounds tight and grindy without being boomy, and yet have the D and G retain a growly yet thick and warm tone without being too thin or exceedingly bright. I know that’s a lot of vague and subjective words. But in short I was really pleased with how musical the amp sounds across the full range of the fretboard and right out of the box.

My initial expectation was that I would find this amp to be a decent compromise compared to my big stupid rack full of toys. While I plan to run this in either/or mode for a few months so the shiny and new feeling isn’t overly influencing me, in the end I suspect I may end up retiring my rack stuff to be just a bunch of outboard gear for the home studio “just in case” and primarily to fill up open rack spaces and look pretty.

Btw - my “either/or” plan will use a patch bay that will be normaled to pure D-800+, but also allow me to use my rack gear with the D-800+ power stage.

Either way, I’m really looking forward to getting back home tomorrow and maybe getting another 30 minutes with this great amp.

/\/\3phist0 and agedhorse like this.
  7. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    At the risk of appearing to gratuitously be bumping my own NAD thread...

I was playing some more this morning and reflecting on my 1980/90's Mesa rig. Back then I had a D-180 plus a power amp driving two 4x12 RR cabinets plus two 1x18 RR cabinets. It was hefty.

In terms of scale and size I seem to have covered the Mesa spectrum from one extreme to the other. The thing that stays the same is how much fun it is to play Mesa gear.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    yeah, by my experience, that really is an outstanding piece of tier one gear.