NAD - Mesa Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPilot, Nov 4, 2017.

1. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    California
    So, yesterday morning I did my usual checking CL for gear. I wasn't necessarily looking to buy something but I've wanted a Walkabout since the first time I played one.
    I have a saved search for my area looking for "Mesa Bass". In the search I see an ad titled "Bass amp". Hmmm, sounds, well, who the heck knows what it sounds like. I click on it and the ad reads "Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo BASS amplifier 112 - used, but works great. $350". Ohhhh, no way......WAY!!!!! I email the guy and we set up to meet at 3 PM.
    He brings a power source and I bring a bass/cable. I plug in, turn it on and play for 30 seconds.....SMILE....I check all the pots but one is real stiff and not registering a tone change when turned. I turn it a couple of more times and it starts working. I hand him $350 cash and I just bought the amp I've pined over for a year. This was the deal of the century for me.
    He bought it for $650 a few years ago but didn't play it and it sat in storage for the last 2 years. I need to replace the handle, some other hardware and the corners and do some general cleanup. But it is an AMAZING amp! With gain at noon and everything else flat, my jazz with Dimarzio Area J's on the bridge pickup is absolutely the bees knees! I LOVE THIS AMP!!!
    I need a little guidance on getting it cleaned up - specifically the jacks and pots (see pics). I got a can of Deoxit Fader F5 but in reading here on TB it sounds like I need the Deoxit D5 - correct? Also, what's the best product to clean the tolex with? Also, any other tips on refurnishing and maintaining it are appreciated.
    I go to rehearsal at 1 PM today and guess what amp I'm playing......Ha! You got it :D;):thumbsup:

Attached Files:

kpc, joebar, Mastermold and 2 others like this.
  2. Do not use the fader lube, for pots only a small drop of Deoxit D5. Really a drop is more than enough.
    According to your location you are near Mesa's factory. Best to give it to them for a good once over cleaning and making sure everything is up to spec for many more years of enjoyment.
    Congratulations.

BassmanPaul and rodl2005 like this.
  3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Nice score.
    If your handy replace the tube, clean the jacks, maybe replace that stiff pot.
    The handle should be available from Mesa.
    Enjoy.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why replace the tubes?

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Awesome score - I'm jelly!!!

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I would recommend listening to the tubes before simply replacing them. IME every tube is somewhat of a variable and everybody has different tastes.

BassPilot likes this.
  7. BassPilot

Oct 14, 2016
    California
    So I have listened to the amp and these tubes for, I would say 15+ hours since I bought it on Friday.
    I AIN'T CHANGIN' A THANG!!:):D
    Personally, I think people get worked up about personalizing everything from toilet paper to antifreeze. In my opinion this amp is the best sounding amp I've played through. I may not have the breadth of experience that many others have but this stock WA is THE AMP.
    I have a D-800 and SW 115 & 112. This is another EXCELLENT setup and on Saturday one of the guitar players in my band said he liked the D-800 better than the WA but he isn't playing bass. So for now I'm sticking with and learning the WA (no offense Andy :smug:).

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There's no wrong answer here. While the Subway covers quite a bit of territory between the WA and Carbines, it was never intended as a replacement or a perfect match. The Subway can do things that the WA can't do, but what the WA does it does very well.

9. The cabinet design and passive port are part of the WA's magic IMO. It's an overachiever for sure. I use mine all the time.

joebar likes this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    True story. I brought my D-180 up to Petaluma for service back in the 90’s. After giving it the once over, the kind folks at Mesa asked “so, do you live on a farm or something?”

No, I actually lived in a regular house, but we had a pet chicken. Not on purpose. The chicken just showed up one day and decided it was going to stay.

murphy, Wicked G and agedhorse like this.
  11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Best damn bass combo made IME.
    That is a helluva deal.

kpc likes this.
  12. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Lol! Isn't that what usually happens with certain pets? They just show up and decide to adopt you and your home. Well at least that's what happened to me with cats and turtles.

murphy likes this.
  13. NoFiller

NoFiller

Apr 5, 2016
    Congrats, OP! Ive enjoyed the heck out of my WA Scout 12 so much that i went and found a Scout 15 extension cab to put underneath it. Its the type of setup that’ll blow a chick’s clothes off at just under 2ohms. Proceed with caution!

If you have some rabbit hole time go here for all you ever want/need to know about these wonderful amps and cabs:

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread Part 10

BassPilot likes this.
  14. BassPilot

Oct 14, 2016
    California
    Yessir - I've read a lot of that thread. Thanks!

15. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Wow great buy! Love mine. Great for small to medium clubs. Enjoy!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021