1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: Mess D800+ and it's all YOUR fault!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azfatboy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I was pretty happy with my Ampeg PF-800. Heck, I still am! But if there is anything amp-related on TB that gets more love than Fender Rumbles (which I also have), it has got to be the Mesa D800 heads. So thanks to my TB addiction, it (the D-800+ specifically) quickly became my "dream amp". The vast array of tonal possibilities was impressive by itself. The 2 ohm operation, semi-parametric EQ, rackability, HPF, lighter weight, and included bag just made the angst burn that much brighter...

But they are new, and even "used" ones maintain their value. I seriously had no illusions about affording one for years-until yesterday that is. One popped up locally for a great price, and long story short, I just couldn't help myself! I can't believe I get to say this: I am the proud owner of a D-800+ !!!

The sucky part is that I am at drill this weekend, so I won't have any serious time to play with it until next week. I had about 5 minutes with it last night is all so far--didn't even have time to mess with the knobs.

Also, I am playing through the only bass cab I have, an SVT-410HEN, which I also love. And it sounds great, AFAIK. But admittedly, my "dream cab" is a fearful/less 212, although actually having this head has now moved dual subway 112 cabs into a tie for that top spot. And now I am feeling like I might need/want (not much difference to me) to accelerate that part too...

So that brings me to my questions. First, are there any favorite settings that you all can recommend to jump start my exploration of this awesome machine? I haven't discovered "my tone" yet, so all suggestions are welcome!

Second, am I just being GASsy about a new cab? Or would a different cab (one I've mentioned or another one) really provide a benefit?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Congrats on the the Mesa! But I'm still a little shaky because Fender Rumble was mentioned the same sentence as Mesa Subway. I think I can still type though :)

I like to adjust the gain just to the point of breakup. Voicing control to taste. If you like low mid grunt, counterclockwise. If you like huge bottom with tight mids, clockwise. Everything else flat. Those are my settings. Unlike the PF800, it's really hard to get a bad tone out of the Mesa.

Al Kraft, sstillwell and azfatboy like this.
  3. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    THat's one amp I can't get out of my head after hearing some video clips of it. It looks to be incredibly useable all around the EQ dials, with the low mid setting that is pretty much the bass sound that I've been seeking in my head. But making an amp that's useable all around the EQ dials, that's the sign of musical engineering.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Drill is cool, and truly appreciated.

Joebone, BassmusM6674, lomo and 2 others like this.
  5. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    @mmbongo , I ain't gonna apologize. My Fender Rumble V3 100 was my first and still one of my best bass-related purchases, and in it's realm-at least in my world-it rules the roost for awesome sounding, light, and affordable bass combo amps. But thanks for the range of settings for my equally cool new head, I will definitely be trying them out this coming week.

@agedhorse thanks for the support. :)

agedhorse and mmbongo like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    TalkBass should be supported by manufacturers. Induced GAS sells a lot of products.

azfatboy and sstillwell like this.
  7. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    @beans-on-toast, isn't that the truth?

Didn't get home until 10 or so last night, so still no time on my new toy. :(

Should have at least a little time this evening. Can't wait!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Well, my semblance of patience has been rewarded. I just got an awesome deal on a Mesa Powerhouse 410. Of course, this happens when I am across the country playing soldier for another two weeks! But I have family picking up the cab for me, and now I have a killer Mesa cab for my D-800+ !!!!

Crusher47 likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sounds like a winner... now carry on soldier!

(You doing some disaster relief work by chance?)

10. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I wish. Although there are many soldiers from AZ participating in relief efforts, I am not among them. I am simply at a predeployment exercise in the Northeast...

agedhorse likes this.
  11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Congrats on all the new gear and thank you for your service...be safe!