1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD - navigator / ipr1600 content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scowboy, May 18, 2011.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    So ever since the MF $199 Eden Navigator debacle happened I have had a bug stuck up my butt about trying a Navigator. I was lucky enough to find an '05, made in US model locally for a very reasonable price.

My intent was to just to use the pre for various things like in-front of the in-ear system at the church I play at or just messing around. Just really wanted to try one. But then I thought heck for another $300 I could try one of the Peavey IPR 1600's and then I could have another viable amp solution (in addition to the two I already have). Never hurts to have a power amp laying around anyway. So here it is. The Navigator is pretty neat. The amount of lights boggles my mind. It's got pretty much everything but a second channel and a kitchen sink. I will hold of a couple of days before I rack it up. Tomorrow I will probably A/B it against my Ashdown ABM500.

My only observation so far is I like the compressor and to get any grit out of the tube knob the input gain has to be set up just like they describe in the manual.

[​IMG]

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I recommend trying the IPR bridged. It's nice to have ridiculous headroom.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That is a lot of bass boost you have going on there...

4. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Could be. Just trying in my office. No idea what it's going to be like in the real world. I've probably logged about 39 minutes playing time with it. Never had that much control which takes a bit of getting used to. I think the Turbo button is off though.

5. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    I've been using one of these for a year now and absolutely love it.

You're right - you really need to crank the input and tube knobs to get any real amount of tube grit out of it, but depending on your power amp you still should have plenty of headroom.

I run mine into a Carvin power amp (that suddenly is having issues) and I couldn't be happier with it.

6. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Here is what the final product looks like. The rack just a tad lighter than one of my AE112's

[​IMG]