NAD NCD New Peavey and AudioKineses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Mar 29, 2016.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Greetings brothers in arms... I've had my cab for a month or so but I just got the new Peavey MiniMax amp.
    I already used the H-1203 with a live band in a couple different room layouts and it really is a small tone monster. As I played it in clubs, people were surprised at the low end, volume, and super rich tones coming out of such a small box. The sound is very even, and for my style it produces a solid growly Rock tone. It's amazing how much bottom comes out of this little cab. There are two tone switches in back and I could see how useful they would be when using different basses and styles. I can get an 80's overdriven style bass sound with both switches turned off (think overdriven 810's) and go to a modern, slappy, airy style tone with the switches up. The efficiency of the cab is astonishing-- I played with a GK MB200 and the cab just SANG with tone, volume, and bottom end. If you closed your eyes you wouldn't believe the small cab and GK MB200 was creating so much excellent sound.

The cab is insanely light for the volume-- 25 pounds! When I played out with my GK MB200 a couple weeks ago, I made the trip into the club with the cab in one hand and the amp in my bass gig bag slung over my shoulder. And it was just as easy and fast to make a quick exit at the end of the night! I will say as I did before, I believe the AudioKineses sound is the sound and size I've been searching for many years and i'm so glad that I found AK through here on Talkbass. The cabinet blew away my expectations and @DukeLeJeune is the nicest guy to meet and he's kind enough to visit TB often to talk to his customers. I look forward to buying more AK cabs of different sizes as time goes along. I love how the H1203 sounds and performs, and soon I'll have a double stack that will suit all of my needs, large or small.

The Peavey is a few days old for me and I got it from Sweetwater. They sent it free to Alaska and it took only four days to get here. The MiniMax is almost twice the weight of the GK MB200 but more than double the watts. It is very solid and I love the simple design. I'm glad they changed the front handles from chrome to black.

I haven't been able to play the MiniMax out yet and it will be a couple weeks. But trying it at home the amp sounds excellent-- that classic Peavey midrangey growl that I've gotten used to and depended on for the past 30 years. Trying it out for the first time, I set everything flat. The Pre at about 1:00 o'clock, master couldn't do much past 10:00 in the house. There are a few buttons on the bottom--bright, Punch, Mid Shift, TransTube, and Mute, which activates the very usable built-in tuner. These controls plus the tone controls make for a very versatile 500 watt amp that I believe will give most everyone the tone they're looking for. When the TransTube button is activated the amp produces a very nice distortion that's controlled by the Pre volume.

There is a 1/8" headphone stereo output and a 1/8" stereo input for AUX IN to connect an MP3 player or whatever for practice. So if you wanted to practice in silence you could use this head with headphones and a small media player plugged in.

The amp gets very loud with one cab and I imagine I could do gyms and auditoriums with two cabinets. At low volumes the amp sounds excellent, except the fan is quite noisy. Much noisier than my larger amps. I talked to Bbbybld and Peavey and they suspect it might be an issue with the fan. They're sending me out a new fan and I should have it in a week. Peavey tech support I was on hold about three minutes and ended up talking to a nice guy in Meridian. He was kind to chat and listen to my concerns and quickly determined the need for a new fan.

There is also a black lightweight Peavey bag that comes with the amp for transport. As it's light I'd still be careful when moving it around.

I've used Peavey for decades and their reliability is legendary. This little guy is very solidly built and sounds great. The price makes it a killer deal. If we can get the fan issue resolved, I think my quest for a new amp will be over--for now! ;)

h1203-peavey.JPG

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Nice write up! What are the differences you are hearing between the MB200 and the Peavey?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks!
    The MB200 straight out without any tweaking has a more agressive bright tone. The Peavey sounds a little darker with everything at neutral. This is a hard one to quantify, but when both amps are at the same volume level, I perceive the MB200 to be "louder." The MB200 seems to naturally have the tone to cut through, as if by design it's going into the mix already carving out its own space. The Peavey can be tweaked using the Mid Shift and tone controls to sound sharper and brighter to cut through the mix, but after some adjustments are made. I'm not sure if I'm explaing myself too well.

I don't want to be unfair to the Peavey because I've used the MB200 much more and my ear is trained to like the sound coming out of it. But at this point I'd have to say the MB200 cuts through the mix naturally with a brighter more aggressive tone. Both amps produce a nice midrange growl for me, I just have to get used to using the MiniMax. :)

4. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Thank you!

That really helps, as I'm hearing the same sort of natural fit in the mix capacities with a MB500 and the Birdhaus. Where it helps is in GAS pain reduction.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :laugh: Either head and the Birdhaus would be a killer combination!