1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD - (New Ampeg Day) - Disclaimer: Short story long

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TexasEdition, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Well, new to me anyway.....

I seem to have a talent for scoring deals on amplification equipment, and if my luck hasn't run out on this one, time to buy a lotto ticket.

It all started about 2 months ago with my first ever Bass Amp... A Fender Rumble V3 100 that I got off FB Market place for $100. It was in mint condition except for a missing volume knob... $1.50 later for a bone colored vintage style knob and I am back in business.

Then 2 weeks ago, there was my Ampeg and Peavy vintage barn finds.

I've been struggling with volume in my new group with my Rumble 100. 2 other guitarists, keys, heavy drummer, vocals, and a large room. I also don't really want to drag the big Ampeg and Peavy cabinets to rehearsals; and really reluctant to move them around at all. I started to get the idea that maybe I can use the Ampeg head, and find some 210 or 115 cabinets to form a "modular" system where I can take the minimum for rehearsals and small gigs, or bring a full stack when it's required.

JimmyM, who is always full of great ideas, suggested in another thread to look at the Porta-Flex series from Ampeg. I've never even considered the Micro heads, but I've been reading up on them (mostly on TalkBass) and the ampeg PF heads seem to be highly regarded. And the cabinets, not only look good, but fit right in with the technical specs. I don't think I will get the head just yet and use my SVT 3 Pro.

I started looking around and they seem to hold there value pretty well, average 20%-30% off new retail for a good+ condition. This all but eliminates anything but local buys since shipping will destroy any savings from new, and I am way to OCD to buy anything already beat up. I Called my "guy" at SW and got some quotes, but put them in the "maybe" folder for later.

This last Monday, I drove out to Austin from Houston to attend the BBBOB signing!
    20191104_171813_resized.jpg

We got there early and tooled around the neighborhood, got some lunch, and dropped into a GC. I made a B-line for the used gear, and sitting there was a nearly mint PF-115LF. I plugged it into a GK amp that was sitting there and this thing sang my tune. It was marked down to $200 because it was sitting there for a few months. Why no one wanted this is beyond me. $Chaching$ I paid the man and wheeled it to the car...
    20191105_204445_resized.jpg

I plugged in my SVT 3 Pro and this thing really sounds nice... I know it's ported, but it really fills the room! It has a nice fat, round sound and will fit in well with the group I'm playing with.

Then yesterday, I'm running around on my day off and stopped into a local music store. Again, went to the back with the used gear, and I find a nearly mint PF-210HE sitting there. I plugged it in, and everything worked. Sounded great. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it, but it didn't seem broken, so I bought it for the $250 they were asking for it. It didn't have the casters with it, so I asked if I could borrow a cart. The young guy got one, brought it outside and loaded it up for me.

20191105_204436_resized.jpg

Once I got home, of course I wanted to go up upstairs and play... I got it from the car and was surprised how heavy it was. I kind of struggled with it coming up the steps. I was thinking to myself this should not be this heavy. It felt heavier than the 115 I dragged up 2 days before. I attributed it to maybe is seemed heavier because it doesn't have side handles.

I stacked it on top of my PF-115LF and plugged in the SVT 3 Pro. It was at this time I realized there are no speakon ports on the PF cabinets? I thought that was rather odd as I figured Speakon was considered the "standard" these days. I have a bunch of those from my PA gear and I never gave it a thought at the music store... So I was only able to test one cabinet at a time because I only have 1 1/4" speaker cable....

20191105_204142_resized.jpg

Again, this cabinet sounds great. Not as deep and room filling as the 115, but lot's of guts and punch. I ended up turning the horn off as all it really did was bring out more finger and fret noise.

After noodling around for a while, and fumbling through some RUSH tunes, curiosity gets the better of me and I decided to see how this flip-top stuff worked. I also figured maybe someone chucked the casters on the inside, and I wanted to rest my SVT 3 Pro up there. I take the latches off and flip the top and.....

20191105_204603_resized.jpg

There's an Amp in there!

My jaw hits the floor. What kind of luck is this? So I scramble around for a power cable, and it fires right up. Plugged it in and started jamming away. This thing really sounds great, and has the Ampeg sound to it. It's really close to my SVT 3 in tone, but does not seem to have the power and I suspect most amp companies are over estimating their power capabilities these days. Nonetheless, it's still a great amp and I was more than giddy with joy to find it in there.

I also noticed this tag on the inside... It practically just left the factory...

20191105_211744_resized.jpg

So there you have it. I have a fully portable and modular practice, gigging, and stage show rig for less than $500...

20191105_204508_resized.jpg

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    wow, that's a great story!

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    What a score! Congrats!
    That's the first Yamaha labeled Ampeg I've seen.

4. Free amp, doesn't get much better than this :thumbsup:

5. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I was about to say, you got a pretty average if not slightly above average deal on that 210 cab, but a free amp! That is a deal! And, yeah, the cab with the head mounted to it does have a bit of heft. Awesome score.

TexasEdition likes this.
  6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    wow, what a score!!

7. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Come next inventory, someone at that local music store gonna have some 'splainin' to do....

Just wondering... what number did you pick for that lottery ticket?

Wisebass, bobyoung53 and grouse789 like this.
  8. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    That a heck of a score right there. You got some killer picks in less than 60 days.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  9. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I'm gonna start shopping with this guy. ..

10. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Great Deal.. Those PF-500s sound great!!

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Awesome! And Congratulations! I hope one day I can stumble into a great deal like you just did!

Enjoy!

12. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    nice! that pf-500 with those 2 cabs should be PLENTY loud. I have the same combo, but with the pf-800, and i never take the volume up past 3 or 4.

13. Two Life Lessons to be Learned Here:

1) Never complain about these new-fangled lightweight amps: IF this had been a tube flip-top, they'd have felt the weight and 86'd selling it for the price of a cabinet . . . . and . . . . .

2) Never ever complain again about those dummies working at the music store !

TexasEdition likes this.

14. Might've been even cheaper based on the markets hatred of heavy stuff.
    My coffee has kicked in yet and when you were talking about struggling, I was just thinking you muricains are getting really weak... The it hit me, you got a PF20 or 50 in there! the PF500 is good too. :D

TexasEdition likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    WOWEE ZOWEE! How does that even happen??? Eh, forget it! Who cares? It happened!

You know, I used to have a 3 Pro, and it definitely has a vibe to it the micros don't have. I like the micros a lot, and if I'm not going micro I'll go all tube, but I do hear a difference between any micro I've ever played and any trad SS amp I've ever played. Part of it is what I consider inherent in the formats (despite some claims to the contrary), part of it is the way the PF heads handle headroom, which is not a lot of juice available in peaks beyond their RMS wattage. That's why the 3 Pro seems like it'll get louder...the way it handles heardoom. Honestly, though, at those volumes, you'll probably get told to turn down a lot more than up :D so I think either of them should do the job. And in some ways I actually prefer the sound of micros over trad SS and hybrid. Never all-tube, though![/QUOTE]

okcrum and TexasEdition like this.
  16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Don't be afraid to crank the master volume up on that PF500. It's not gain-staged so 9 o'clock is as loud as it gets to impress people. ;)

TexasEdition likes this.
  17. I've been contemplating on how that happened. I think maybe whoever it was that traded it in never told them it was in there and they priced it based on the cabinet, or whoever was pricing is for resale (most likely) didn't get the memo. Someone got screwed somewhere, and it wasn't ME this time...

18. Wouldn't that have been the find of the century! It wasn't really that heavy, but heavier than I was expecting... But I wish this cabinet had side handles as it would make going up and down the steps much easier.

19. Nothing a drill and some screws can't sort...!

Heard this rig last night (may have been a PF350, unsure, and a single cab). Bassist had a Mustang with a J pup and it sounded great!

20. [/QUOTE]

So I got my other cable in the mail and plugged in both cabinets. It's plety loud and has lots of depth. I really like the sound of both cabinets together. You get the punch from the 210 and the depth from the 15. It's really a nice sounding combo.

I did a very unscientific demonstration between the PF stack the and 3 Pro stack. All settings being the same (gain, EQ, Master, etc) the 3 Pro stack did seem to be a bit louder and agressive. The PF stack seemed to be a little more cleaner and warm sounding. A lot of that could be the cabinets... A 610 vs the 210/115. The PF seemed to keep up with the volume until about 1:00 on the master dial, and that seemed to be about all she was going to give. The 3 Pro felt like she had a bit more to give at that point. So if that is "headroom," I can see what you mean here.

I liked both sounds. I think the PF head has a more "ampegy" sound than the 3 pro. I like the compression feature and dialing it in to get the grit just right. This one is a winner.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021