1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD, New Guy, and a DEAL ALERT: Ampeg PF800 Mint Open Box $329.97

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by ToneMaven, Dec 22, 2018.

1. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    I've been lurking here for a while and signed up to share this with you. I've been considering buying a used PF800 and today, I was perusing the amps at Musician's Friend over a cup of coffee and jumped all over this deal(PF800 Mint, Open Box, $329.97 with free shipping). I can't buy it used for that. I ordered mine and it looks like they have more, the link is still up as of 9:36am EST. Must be a mistake, new they are $599 and a blemished open box is $469.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...eg-portaflex-pf800-800w-class-d-bass-amp-head
    Good luck and hope you can snag one too!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Wow, I moved on this just now, Christmas Eve, and ordered one. I'm going to post this deal in "Hot Deals" in the classifieds.
    Crazy deal.

ToneMaven likes this.
  3. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Glad you were able to get the deal, it's unreal. Did you post it in "Hot Deals"? I didn't know there was a special area for it. I wondered why there wasn't much activity on the thread.

4. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    My rig is going to be colossal. PF800 into 2 8ohm 2x10s, sending signal to the PF500 feeding either my TC 2x12 or my old 4 ohm Peavey 1516. There will be much gnashing of teeth and howls of either fear or delight.

MadCow217, DirtDog and ToneMaven like this.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    To the OP; great find.

ToneMaven likes this.
  6. Funkabilly

Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    Oh, I don't like y'all one bit! Just ordered one.... damn Talkbass! Now I have to figure out how to find it before my wife does, when its shipped!! All joking aside, the ones that were $329 said level 1 mint, and the ones for $469 said level 2 blemished. I wonder if this alludes to a revision level? Maybe level 1 being the earlier ones?

Skillet and ToneMaven like this.
  7. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Congrats on getting one! I order from Musician's Friend often and absolutely love them, great pricing and customer service. I've bought several items that are open box and can tell you that they apply a "level" to all their open box/return stuff. Level 1 is their best open box stuff. It is usually in mint condition. Level 2 is usually blemished, level 3 is a little rougher than blemished, and so on.

Skillet likes this.
  8. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I think level 1 blem is very slightly blemished, and level 2 is moreso. Doesn't explain the price difference unless...... These are in fact "Returns", and they sell those as level 1s. Oh well, what concerns me, is I just came home and opened up the box and pulled out a 100% pristine amp. Absolutely not a scratch on it. Box had the amp, and a power cord, no manual. Sounds great. I'm stoked. What a deal.

MadCow217 likes this.
  9. donkeygrl

donkeygrl Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Daaammmn that was a deal! Congrats!!!!!

10. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Well, I am at a loss for words(figuratively speaking). My amp came with cord and manual and was factory sealed. I mean, the plastic had not been cut and it is machine sealed. Not so much as a fingerprint on it. Plays tremendously. Happy camper. Unreal price. Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep my PF-500 as a backup or sell it as you can get $200-$275 for them. Spoke to a person at Musician's Friend last week and they had four of these open-box PF-800s left at the $329 price. Just wow.

Sanchan likes this.
  11. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

I am so tempted...

12. kranahan

Okay. I did it! Haha.

Skillet likes this.
  13. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    That only took 3 minutes of heavy contemplation :thumbsup:

MadCow217, kranahan and Jeff K like this.
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Anybody know why Ampeg doesn't put two Speakon connectors on the back instead of one Speakon and one 1/4 inch? Do they just want you to daisy-chain? I've noticed that the Quilter also only has one Speakon.

15. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Flexibility. One Speakon and one 1/4" is enough for most anyone. You can use them both simultaneously if you don't want to daisy chain.

Jeff K likes this.
  16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I just thought it was odd. Since most amps started using two Speakons, I think I converted my remaining 1/4" speaker cables to Speakons.

17. kranahan

It looks like I got one of the last ones at $329 as there are no more left at that price. Only a blemished one at $469.

My order is back ordered because MF is waiting on a shipment from the manufacturer (Ampeg). I hope the one I receive isn’t B-stock or something else...

ToneMaven likes this.
  18. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    I think we lucked out on a really special deal. Beats me why they would price them that low, but hell, I couldn't get one used for that price.

kranahan likes this.
  19. Funkabilly

Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    I am completely happy with mine! It didn't come in any kind of factory box, but it came with the power chord, user manual, and screws to attach to a flip top. I'm impressed with MF customer service. I'm a Sweetwater customer, and love their customer service, but MF is just as good. Thanks to the OP for the post! Good find!

ToneMaven likes this.
  20. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I ordered one and had issues with it. A weird sound when I started it up, followed by loud hissing. Packed it back up and returned it. I hope one of you don't get that one. Mine had been used before. had smudge marks on the face plate.