1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: old Trace Elliot content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by project_c, Mar 26, 2013.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I've been obsessing over getting one of these since I played through one a month or so ago - it's an original British Trace Elliot Commando 12 combo, about 10 years old, which, much to my surprise, despite being one of TE's least costly models, sounded absolutely awesome. It can do a burpy mid-heavy fingerstyle Jazz tone better than anything else of this size I've come across. I got it for the bargain price of £65, which is kind of stupid for how great this thing sounds. It may not be the smallest or lightest one out there, but the tone (not to mention the price) makes up for that.

Attached Files:

2. Good to know. I saw a couple of those around here and wondered if I should give it a shot.

3. Best amp I ever played was an old Trace 350 head (one with the UV tube below the control panel) running through two unknown cabs. Was only 350W transistor power, nothing, right? I was completely surprised it cut through so well and sat in the mix superbly, even with our loud drummer. Played many Ampegs that could not even come close to that, not even driving an 8x10.

The owner didn't want to selll the Trace head, and I've failed to find one ever since. I would say, if you like the tone definitely keep it. 65 pounds must be a steal!

4. biggestgerbil

biggestgerbil

Jul 25, 2013
    Abbey Models Shrewsbury
    I have recently purchased a Commando 15 100w combo on e-Bay. It has to be said that it is amazing. Very loud, or so it seems to me. I use a cheap Epiphone EB0 bass that has no treble output to speak of (no slapping and tickling) and the Commando almost makes it sound good. Mind you, it suits my style. I like to rumble away in the backround and am not a flashy player.
    BONUS...
    It also sounds GREAT for six string guitar. Totally clean and crisp at the right setting. I am gobsmacked.